• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Create an SD Project to Export HD

Participant ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a multi Application question (PPRO and AME).

I need your help. I'm making a video in HD that my client would also like to show on Comcast Public Access (which uses SD). What I would like to do is make a new PPRO project for the SD format:

1. How do I set up a file for this in PPRO

Instead of black bars, I'm going to make some art in Illustrator that adds a blue background with a dark, short gradient top and bottom where the black bars would be. I'm making that file 720x480. No question here, just wanted you to know. This graphic will be the background for the HD video that will go on top of it.

Next, I want to bring my HD video into this new SD project and center it top to bottom.

2a. Should I just import the HD PPRO project into the SD project?

2b. Should I render the HD project as some file type (what should it be) and import that into the SD project file?

3. What settings should I select when exporting through AME and do I need to install an export profile for it?

Thank you very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't need to modify your project then it'll be faster if you import a master HD file into your SD project.

As for what export settings to use, only the station can tell you that. Ask them for a spec sheet, which will have everything they require. Every broadcaster is different, and each one's specs are incredibly specific, so you have to conform to what they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David. Sorry for the delayed response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark,

Edit as HD, then export as HD using an Intermediate Codec. This means a format that has very little visual loss, from which you can then do more editing or compositing, or can use as a Master file from which to export various other delivery formats.

If working on the Mac, then ProRes 422 is the go-to option for that. On PC, assuming newer CC version that has these options built-in, use Cineform or DNxHD for instance. I think Cineform is found under QuickTime.

From what I gather, the TV station needs a 4:3 video since you will be letterboxing in the SD version. In same project where you did the HD edit, make a New Sequence, likely DV NTSC 48k.  Import the HD clip into it, and right-click clip and select Scale to Frame to make it fit the SD frame.

Then Export using whatever specs the station provides - they often want some type of MPEG-2 file for their playout servers.

I would do a short sample of a few minutes - edit HD, export HD master, import to SD sequence, export SD, test at station - to make sure workflow is valid before putting a lot of effort into the whole project to be disappointed and have to step back and redo again.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines