Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IMPORT TO ENCODER

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rookie question here.

I have footage from a unknown camera (might be panasonic).  I want to transcode all media to ProRes 422 and have that worked out, but the camera media is buried in folder structures and I want an easy way for Encoder to see it so I can queue it.  I don't want to have to go to each folder and find one media file, want to see all media files in encoder.  Also want to make sure I have all the metadata I need.  The media is a .MXF file structure below. 

Thanks everyone.

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.59.40 am.png

TOPICS
How to , Import , Performance , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder structures of media recorded to cards is important to keep intact, and digging down to the MXF file like in the screenshot above is actually not the best way to see your clips. If you have a clip under 4 GB then this isn't really a problem, but once a continuously recorded clip exceeds that size it will get split up into multiple files. Use the Media Browser panel inside of AME or PR to view these clips properly, the same way they were recorded in the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yes ofcourse, I am always injesting from within AME browser, the screenshot was just to show that each .mxf is buried within many files.  I am after away, within AMA, to look at just the .mxf so I can batch load into que rather than dig into each folder for one .xmf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resolved it thanks.  The naming convention had been changed, and when I chamged it back AME loaded all the video files into the directory and chose the correct directory view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's what the Media Browser is for. Take a look at the attached screenshots. This is Canon XF footage, and just like yours, there are individual folders for each clip. In the red outlined area on the left you can see the contents of that folder contain multiple clips (split at 4 GB each) which make up the actual recorded clip. On the right side that one folder displays as a single clip. The rest of the folders each display as a single clip in the Media Browser.

If you navigate to the folder of all the clip folders and you do not see what I see, then click the blue eyeball icon at the top, on the left of the search bar. The second screenshot shows the different types of file structures that are supported, and if your folder structure is intact and supported (which Panasonic P2 is) then you should see a clip list. If File Directory is selected then you should switch to the other option, if there is one.

media browser.png

file type.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I don't see what your seeing, so that's probably the issue.  I did try and change the File directory to something else but it wouldn't let me.  Do you think I need to down load a camera plug in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did add the Canon plug in but I still can't select any option other than File directory from the drop down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you located in the root directory of the camera card? Is the camera card folder structure completely and fully intact?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have inheritated this project and set up, and the media has been copied across to a hard drive, the top folder name may have changed but the folder structure seems to be intact.  I've attached a screengrab within AME.  I just noticed that it is the same in Premiere CC, I can't change from file directory.  Looked for download codec's that I may need but couldn't see anything.  I know the camera was a Panasonic, but that is all.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 9.54.19 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. As you saw, those card structures are delicate and you can't change anything without possibly messing things up. I know you inherited this, but the next time you get card media just remember to create a top-level folder then dump the entire card contents into that new folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines