• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

jpg media encoder to png?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any advantage to run a jpg threw media encoder and  have it render a png.

is that png goint to offer a better edit excperience

i think thee may be an advantage but it could be wishful thinking on my part

topaz has a softwear they claim can produce raw but i wan't impressed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Hi there,

Here is my thought on this. Transcoding a media (image/video) from a highly compressed codec (like h.264 or jpeg) to a less compressed codec like (Prores or Tiff) may result in better performance in some cases. This is because the compressed codecs usually require more processing power for the encoding and decoding process. However, transcoding the media won't improve the image quality any more than the original file. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Sumeet 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

It's not a good idea to edit a jpg file, as it is a "lossy" format - i.e. each time you save it the quality is reduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Here is my thought on this. Transcoding a media (image/video) from a highly compressed codec (like h.264 or jpeg) to a less compressed codec like (Prores or Tiff) may result in better performance in some cases. This is because the compressed codecs usually require more processing power for the encoding and decoding process. However, transcoding the media won't improve the image quality any more than the original file. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Sumeet 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that answers my question if the jpeg can become a higher quality file and your saying no. 

Topaz offers a jpg to raw stand alone option that doen't work.

Does anybody have any ideas on improving a jpeg to make it edit worthy or am i barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Sumeet pretty much answered your questions. It depends on the source material. That's why I typically ask for the original source file. If it's graphics, then I ask for the original vector artwork (typically Illustrator). If it's a photo, then I ask if the shooter happened to take the picture in a raw format. But unfortunately, sometimes all you get is a low-quality jpeg, and you just have work with what you got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  can say that there have been times the conversion seemed to work, but not everytime.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a good idea to edit a jpg file, as it is a "lossy" format - i.e. each time you save it the quality is reduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saying the jpg has a loss everytime saved.

I'll consider this in my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was good information that made sence to my experience 

indeed there were some images that seemed to benifit but not all

using a tiff was an intellegent idea i wouldn't have thought of myself

Jpg arn't fun to edit 

encodding jpg to tiff maybe wishfull thinking in my head but i do it anyway because i have to try 

it's a gray area and Topaz jpg to raw doen't work at all from my experience

media encoder seems to offer a degree of edit better than jpg and i admit its a degree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

About converting JPG to PNG through a media encoder, it's an interesting thought! While PNG is lossless and can offer better quality for edits, it might not magically enhance the initial JPG. It's more about preserving quality during further edits rather than improving the original. I get the wishful thinking, though! Regarding Topaz's claim, it's a hit or miss sometimes. And hey, have you tried JPEG Optimizer? It's been my go-to lately. It compress jpeg without compromising too much quality. I'm fairly new here, so still exploring the ropes. Anyone else got insights on this? Let's figure it out together!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines