Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder compression

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can anyone comprehensively explain the difference between handbrake and Adobe Media Converter? Example: I have a simple slideshow consitig of 15 images and 14 transitions (onle fades) at 1080p, 5 min, 25 fps with a file size of appr. 250 MB. I want to convert that to something that still looks good on a HD TV and get the files size down.

Adobe Media Converter creates a appr. 500 MB file in 1080p no matter what I try. Used H.264, set the target fps to 2 MBit/s (max. fps 20 MBit/s), tried many different settings, but always end up with double the file size I started with.

Handbrake on the other hand compressed the file with H.264 down to 45 MB without any big loss in quality.

Am I not using Medie Converter right, or is there something else I miss?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to AME forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, did not find that. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand what you are doing/asking -

conte0815  wrote

Example: I have a simple slideshow consitig of 15 images and 14 transitions (onle fades) at 1080p, 5 min, 25 fps with a file size of appr. 250 MB.

How do you know that is the file size?

I want to convert that to something that still looks good on a HD TV and get the files size down.

Why do you need a small file size?

Adobe Media Converter creates a appr. 500 MB file in 1080p no matter what I try. Used H.264, set the target fps to 2 MBit/s (max. fps 20 MBit/s), tried many different settings, but always end up with double the file size I started with.

The fps and the bit rate are two independent specifications.  What are you attempting to adjust? If you set the Max. bit rate to 20Mb/s, then 5 minutes of source will turning out around 500MB sounds about right.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your quick answer!

How do you know that is the file size?

I export a simple slideshow from Apples Photo App on OSX (why? simple and quick solution to create a slideshow video) resulting in an m4v-file with 250 MB file size.

Why do you need a small file size?

I have to send that video to a client who want's to play it on 5 screens at a convention tomorrow (TV sets with 1080p resolution). I don't know the brand or any other specifications and am not 100% sure they can use m4v-files. And just for them handling the files, trying to offer the best service to them, I try to send them smaller files (e.g. they need to copy that to 5 USB sticks or whatever).

The fps and the bit rate are two independent specifications.  What are you attempting to adjust? If you set the Max. bit rate to 20Mb/s, then 5 minutes of source will turning out around 500MB sounds about right.

Thank you for this information. That's what I was wondering about: Handbrake does have settings like "variable frame rate", Media Encoder only let's me choose the target frame rate. I think what you are saying is, that it does not matter if I set the target frame rate low, as long as I have don't change the max frame rage, because I will still end up with a larger file. So I should set the max frame lower aswell I guess.

Still wondering why a conversion in Handbrake is 44 MB and in Media Encoder 500 MB and no easy setting to adjust that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines