• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder Stops Encoding with the New CS5.5

Explorer ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to CS5.5 a yesterday and having some issues encoding an 1 1/2 program for a DVD. The program doesn't seem to crash per se, just stops encoding. The task manager says it's running. I tried to encode the same sequence, but shorter and have the in and out points go through the part where it always stops and it worked fine. It's just when I try the entire sequence it stops. Anyone have any experience like this with CS5.5 just coming out?

Thank you,

Doug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 259 Replies 259
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

I sent you an email at the address on file in your case notes. I have some addtional questions regarding your support case.

Best regards,

Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if heat is a cause of AME failing it should monitor, measure, log and warn about it - we're not in the dark ages anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2011 Sep 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DirtyLowPull wrote:

if heat is a cause of AME failing it should monitor, measure, log and warn about it - we're not in the dark ages anymore.

Dark ages or not, an application can only do what it was programmed to do.  There are enough utilities, free and otherwise, available to perform such tasks.  I'd prefer not to bog down the AME with that stuff.  If you feel differently, then you know what to do:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here:

Sometimes AME stopps working during long seqence exports. There is no specific point where it hangs. If you stopp the AME via the task manager and restart it, it encodes the same sequence fine but within the next it hangs again. It is totally unpredictable since it is not related to any sequence or codec.

This is a real showstopper for us. This software is currently not suitable for professional use. We wanted to change from Avid MC to Premiere Pro because of the dynamic link abilities. But if we simply can't output a simple timeline, this is a nogo. Where is the patch for that bug Adobe?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we have that same problem of freezing AME with Premiere Pro sequences over and over.

We are running Adobe Production Premium CS5.5

CS5 was uninstalled before installing CS5.5, with additional help of the Adobe cleaner tool.

For us, the current workaround is to deactivate MPE GPU Acceleration and go with software only.

We use MacOS 10.6.8 on multiple machines (MacPro Dual Quadcore). We have both NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 and Quadro 4000 graphics cards. Drivers and software are up to date.

The error happens on all machines.

We encode lots of lecture recordings into H.264. I.e. our Premiere Pro sequences typically range between 20-90 minutes.

If there is anything I could do to help hunting down that bug (at least it looks like one), please let me know.

Kind regards,

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2011 Sep 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the AME Testers have been trying to reproduce this problem in house for several weeks, but we have been unsuccessful.  We will contact some of you who are experiencing this problem directly via email in hopes to get more information or projects that are exhibiting the problem so that we can reproduce this issue.  We need to be able to repro this on our machines for our developer to be able to fix them. Continue to post any information that might help us narrow down this issue and find a solid repro step.

Thanks,

Nariman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW...I'm not the only one!

I've just killed two days and I'm on a tight deadline, trying to Export a 6.5 minute video with my new PPro 5.5. (Just switched fm FCP 6)

Finally got it to output using the H.264 Format and the YouTube Widescreen Preset.  It actually looks pretty good on Youtube even though it's 640x360.

Big Problem:  I've been trying to use the following.....Format: Quicktime, Present: NTSC DV Wide, Video: H.264, 720x480, 29.97, Lower First, D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16x9.      My original Sequence is 720x480 Widescreen, Lower.

Encode gets about 2/3 of the way and then stops cold.   Interestingly, I rendered it in two sections and each section worked fine.  Althought, I combined the two sections on one timeline and re-exported and the new file became out of sync with lots of glyches.

All I really want is just a QT.   Is that possible.     Love the program, beats FCP except for this one 'little' problem.

I'm on an  iMac with 4gb of ram, 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also experiencing the same problem.(AME stopping at random) Has Adobe posted a fix or work around?

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Kent,  We can't release a patch to solve this until we are able to reproduce this problem in Adobe and fix it.  So far, using our own assets and computers, we have not been able to reproduce this issue.  Thus we don't have a fix yet.  We are contacting some of the individuals on this thread for assistance in replicating this issue. Until then, there has been some suggestions posted above that might reduce chances of this happening. For example, Andreas is able to bypass this problem by deactivating MPE GPU acceleration and going with software acceleration only. In another post, updating graphic card driver solved this problem for one user on a machine that had this issue.  I do want you all to know that we are working on this, but it has been difficult to track this issue down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had technicians logged into my computer and watched it happen many times. This issue has gone on way too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and exactly where is the switch in AME that can be helps in "deactivating MPE GPU acceleration" ...  2,000+ PP sequences since upgrading to 5.5 - so, so, so many AME failures.

I notice that when AME does crash/freeze up that the only activity on any of the many many many adobe components is AME itself doing I/O other.  handles/memory remain constant.  How can we help get this solved?

PP: AVCHD >> f4v/m2v/3gp - fails on random encodes.

Multiple HD's involved.

more than enough RAM

more than enough freespace on scratch drives

current NVidia drivers

7 64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AME has no control for disabling GPU acceleration. The workaround is to switch to Software Only Acceleration in Premiere Pro (Project>Project Settings>General)

Providing information as you've done is the first step toward isolating the cause of this issue. We'll probably be asking for more info as well as some diagnostic tests. I'll leave that to Nariman as he is spearheading the investigation.

Thanks for your assistance in collecting info. When we are unable to repro a bug in-house, the co-operation of customers is essential.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround works here, but disabling GPU accelaration, makes the rendering process very slow.

Not really a good solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but this some BS. I pay a lot of money to use this, and after I spend a year editing a documentary, I expect to be able to export that project out of Adobe. Seriously, come on guys! Get it the shit together! the fact that you can't explain why your software can't get past the 25% marker, no matter what I do (even editing out a section I thought might have been the issue and thus changing the length and chafing the 25% position) is not acceptable, and, quite frankly, I'm considering consulting a lawyer as far as pressing charges against Adobe as this problem with the inability to export past 25% is starting to cost me money, as well as have career implications. Please get your problem fixed, or, at least, refund me 100% of all I have paid in the last 2 years for this subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro sometimes gets confused and calls the 32-bit version of the Media Encoder.  That can cause problems, especially with memory usage.  The remedy is to rename the AME 32-bit executable file.  If all of your Adobe software that might use the AME is 64-bit, then you can delete the 32-bit executable (but that's kind of living on the edge).

On Windows, you can find the 32-bit AME executable file here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder <fill in your version number>

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been out of this thread for a while but I too have problems with encoder still.

I have been managing to encode in sort of cumbersome way.

I should mention I'm on a mac and I'm not sure what the equivalent to my workaround is on a pc, but there must be something similar.

See, normally I would send sequences to encoder through premiere. This is almost always a road into trouble.

Then I realized that when I close all my adobe software and open up Activity Monitor there are still several adobe processes running.

Namely:

AdobeQT32 Server (several instances more often than not)

dynamiclinkmanager

aerendercore

CS5.5ServiceManager (Or something like that. I can't quite remember exactly.)

The last two close with the apps usually but they have been known to linger so I include them.

So now I close all apps and kill the remaining processes manually from the Activity Monitor and then open up encoder. From it's menu I choose Add Premiere Pro sequence,choose my project, my sequence and start the queue. So far. It's rendered everything I've thrown at it. Including troublesome sequences that bug out on me normally.

On a side note. The software seems more responsive. when working this way. Meaning, everytime I'm about to switch from premiere to encoder or AE I close everything and kill the lingering processes and the apps seem lighter for it. Also a lot of times there will be several AdobeQT32 Servers instances running but only one doing any kind of work. Closing the loittering one seems to improve performance. Mind you I've no idea what AdobeQT32 Server instances do (I'd imagine they work with quicktime files at 32bits) and/or whether or not it's a good thing to have multiple instances. I have seen up to three instances working simultaneously. All of them looking very busy. Especially on encoding so maybe it's useful. Bottom line, I'm no expert and anything I say should be taken as an amateurs opinion but it's been working for me and might be a starting point for debbuging the problem so I thought I'd share.

I really do hope the problem is resolved soon. It has been a hiderance for a couple of months now and I really enjoy using the Adobe Creative Suite. I'd rather not have to switch.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to do a post on here. I own sudosonic.com which is a tutorial company. One of my recent projects is 44 clips totaling over 4 hours on blu-ray. I was running into the same problem, rendering 22 of the seqs in a nested master seq, and even trying to render all those seq individually. I'd watch the performance on my windows task manager and the CPU USage would take a dive from 80% to 2%(idle). No warnings or errors in AME. I started queing one of the small seqs at a time and it would render it out, 2 or 3 in the queue even. Sometimes 3 or 4 would make it stop. ..why I dont know. I'm running a i7 980, 24gigs ram, gtx 580, all current updates.

By the way this error I'm assuming is what makes it look like encore is messing up too when you do a dynamic link. So thats why even I started rendering these out individually. You gotta drop in your seq to a master where they'll be nested and then tweak your render presets. I wound up doing H.264 bluray with really low CBR, like 1 or 5mb. Then the output showed at 14G. Then I saved that as a preset and used that same preset to render the clips individually, import them individually into Encore, it rendered an ISO in like 30 mins.

I know everybody doesn't have 4-10 min clips like I do, but then again they probably don't have picture in picture full hd or titles all the way through. I'm guessing it's the software that can't handle the memory management.

Hope this helps.

-Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the time it is taking to trouble shoot this problem. With Adobe technicians logged into my system they see it happening, so why do you need to create the problem in-house. I will give you my raw materials if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I agree. Really as much as Premiere/Encore/AME costs, it should run smoothly with HD in any situation. I've done a little programming and lots of video editing in the last 10 years, and I think it has to do with the memory management architecture. Clearly when larger files and composites have to render there's some sort of issues going on with AME not being able to handle it.

I myself am a little upset that AME can't take more than 3 or 4 of my seqs in the queue at a time. That's the whole point of having AME in the first place is so you can load it up and render over night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question, are folks using the original 5.5 encoder or the update?  If you are failing with the update, have you tried the original release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it has FAILED with both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iam having the same problem AME stops working on complex or long encodes on my desktop machine. But my lap top a Dell xps encodes without any hitch? I  wonder if its a graphics card issue as the desktop machine will encode if I turn off the mecury engine and run in software only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike why don't you give it a try and see. I'm rendering some video today too so I'll give a try as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I don't have the time to test it. One of my 44 clips that was only 3mins renders in realtime with gpu and is estimated 16mins with software only. But I would assume it has something to do with the gpu or driver of the gpu based on what you said. Also I never had this trouble with past projects, and it's at the beginning of this project that I got the GTX 570.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did want to note that I actually didn't have the most current driver updates for my card. Also I'd thought I'd had the latest updates for CS5.5 because I purchased and downloaded it no more than 2 weeks ago, but I actually didn't have the most current updates for that either. When I did the update it updated WME and Premiere.

Now I've queued up all 44 videos videos in WME, it did pause one time when reading XMP data on the 4th or 5th one in the queue and I had to force close WME in the task manager. Then I restarted it and it's now done 8 so far with no hiccups.

It seems to be running better at least, if not perfect. Lesson learned on assuming to have the most current updates and drivers.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines