• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sidecar file timecode using in & out trim not resetting to 00:00:000

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I bring a video into Media Encoder (either through Premiere or drag and drop the file) and convert video as well as export a Sidecar caption file I am having a problem with the sidecar timecode.

If I have trimmed off the beginning of the video (or used in and out on Premiere), the captioning may start with the right words, but the timecode on the sidecar file for those right words does not reset to 00:00:00. 

I've tried using set time code functon, but that does not change anything on the Sidecar caption file. 

Is this a bug, or is does the set time code function not apply to sidecar files?

Are other people having this issue?

Is there a solution or work around?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export or render

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just not the way the caption timecode works. Are you trimming the video in PR?

Stan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  I have tried trimming and exporting from Premiere as well as Media Encoder.

The goal is to take a finished broadcast version (with bars/tone/slate at the beginning for broadcast) and export it from in/out points with sidecar file. I need the sidecar file timing to start at  00:00:00 like the video so when it uploaded online, it matches. 

That being said, if the "Set Start Timecode" feature in the export does not apply to the sidecar caption, what is the purpose?

Attached is a sample of my export screen and a sample of how the the captions still look even after I've used "Set Start

Timecode."

srt sidecar pic.JPGexportsetting3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in responding. I needed to run some tests to see if I could understand what is happening: I can't understand it, in part because I can't really get any difference in the media file itself using the "Set Start Timecode."

But I believe that caption streams do not support this function anyway.

a) There is a UserVoice request regarding this:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/35979748-bug-in-media-expor...

b) I don't see how it would work as captions are currently created. Not that it matters, but what you are seeing is probably not the "caption file" times, but the caption SEQUENCE times, which, in any event, are not being adjusted by the Set Start Timecode. If you have not changed the caption times from an imported caption file, then the sequence and file times are the same.   

Possible Workaround.

Use a third party program such as SubtitleEdit. Bring the exported srt in, and adjust the timecodes to zero there.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.  I was afraid that was the case. If it is possible in future updates, that would be a great addition. Meanwhile, I can use the third party system.  I appreciate the help. I couldn't see any adjustment when using the Set Start Timecode either. What is the purpose of that thing?    

Suzanne 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope someone else drops in to answer that! I could not tell. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines