Exit

Using Media Encoder to convert Variable frame rate video to Constant

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the "answered" answer on a post from 2012. vv

Hi CLCTV,

To close this thread, exports interpreted as variable frame rate are now interpreted as constant in AME CC 2014 (8.0), and later. Please create a new thread if you are still having trouble with this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Could someone explain with detail how Media Encoder is able to convert a Variable frame rate video to constant? I am personally working with a live stream video and trying to add front and back bumpers in post.

Thanks!

[Moved by moderator from the non-technical Lounge Forum to the AME Forum for technical help]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Can you give a link to the thread?

The usual answer to VFR is to convert to CFR with HandBrake:

https://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give a link to the thread?

The usual answer to VFR is to convert to CFR with HandBrake:

https://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi booginmuhshug,

Sorry for this issue.

Could someone explain with detail how Media Encoder is able to convert a Variable frame rate video to constant? I am personally working with a live stream video and trying to add front and back bumpers in post.

Sorry, Media Encoder nor Premiere Pro can convert a variable frame rate clip to a constant frame rate clip. Make a request for that here. As Peru Bob suggests, please transcode the file using Handbrake.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on Adobe's position on this? Seems strange that Adobe is officially saying, "Hey! Your paid subscription software is unable to handle something that this freeware software can do?" Does that seem at all strange? If this is the Adobe position, I am OK with it. But, it does seem a strange position to take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SealSoftware,

It does seem a little weird, doesn't it? You see, the world of encoders, decoders, and all things digital is a wide, wide world with many stories to tell and a good number of scenarios to discover.

• Apple has it's own encoder/decoders, which only need to function on Mac OS (with some WIN decoding).
  • Adobe contracts with a third party for its cross platform encoders/decoders and is reliant upon working with them for certain features, including things like VFR support.
  • Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip, FFMPEG, and other entities are open source contributors and are both ahead and behind the curve with modern encoding/decoding.

If these issues are affecting you, please let the product team know how you feel here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a fairly new subscriber to CC.  With all due respect to Kevin and other Adobe staff members, we have been urged to "submit a feature request" or "let the product team know..." since at least 2014 - and maybe earlier, as I stopped looking at that point.  That response is sounding rather silly, at this late date.

I am reassessing my decision to subscribe to CC and I am talking about this issue with others whom I know are investigating what is available for high-quality video editing.  Is Adobe really so deaf to the needs of its customers?  The time for submitting requests and alerting product teams passed a couple of years ago.

I really wish that I knew about this issue before I signed up for a year-long subscription!  I will make it my mission to make sure that my friends and cohorts do not suffer the same misfortune.   Good grief!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MichaelL,

Sorry for your frustration on the lack of implementation of variable frame rate support. Premiere Pro is a very complicated application, as are all NLE software applications. It takes an enormous amount of work to fix bugs and add features. Unfortunately, that is rather a fact of life in all NLEs. Sorry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm having the same issues.  I have to use Handbrake.  Seems like a major oversight to not include such an often-need feature for pros.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For at least 4 years VFR has been an issue with synchronization of large files in Premiere with no resolution?  As I search the internet it seems to be the biggest issue customers have with Adobe Premiere Pro and yet it is not fixed, but multiple free programs are able to convert from VFR to CFR?  I continually am given more and more reasons not to use Adobe software and to quote Kevin...."Unfortunately, that is rather a fact of life".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is now a very serious issue for me. All my recordings are in VFR and where audio synchronisation is a key requirement it seems that Adobe has no solution to audio "drift"! I find this incredible - especially after such a long time in their customers asking for it! I'm going to have to investigate alternative video editors - and, if needs be, switch back to Apple hardware and software and cancel my £40pm subscription to Adobe... I will never use freeware like Handbreak because of their vulnerabilities to malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I struggled 2 days with my footage from iPhone XS showing Choppy Skipping Buggy Video Import from iPhone (into premiere pro or after effects) and I finally landed here.

may someone tell me how to change the resolution of the output of handbrake to follow the original footage? I shot with vertical iPhone 1080x1920 but the output is forced into 1080 x 1080

Thank you in advance.

William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest all members in this discussion to give Freemake Video Converter a try. It is the best software for convertering VFR to CFR without sacrificing video quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines