• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2020 Media Encoder, Premiere, and AE all lock hard with particular MP4 video clips

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, help.

I have some particular video clips (mp4s that I think were shot on a Galaxy S in 2010) that lock all the Adobe apps at particular time stamps. The Adobe apps become completely unresponsive and have to be terminated by OS brute force. For comparison, Windows Media Player plays the videos through without incident.

I've tried processing the videos on each software, CUDA, and OpenCL rendering with the exact same results. It also locks in the older Premiere 2019 (did not test 2019 AE and ME). It also locks in Premiere on another computer with a different video card ("different" but both cards are made by NVIDIA in different generations of Dell laptops).

Playing, scrubbing the playhead through, or exporting/encoding all cause the locking at the same point.

I re-encoded one of the clips with Windows Photos video editor and then it worked in the Adobe products. But I have many(!) of these clips for this project.

I am happy to provide one of the locking clips (the smallest one is 42MB and locks the Adobe products at the 37-second-ish mark.  As I said Windows Media Player gets through it fine, though with some video glitching at that mark.).

Please help!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video shot on cell phones is notorious for running poorly in editing apps due to the variable frame rate record settings. Feel free to upload a clip and I can take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Is there somewhere non-public where I can get the clip to you?  It is not mine to publish.  I assume that if I attach it here it becomes, effectively, the property of the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I got permission from the owner to post this.  Here is the clip that crashes the latest Windows versions of Premiere, After Effects, and Media Encoder at around the 37-second mark.  Thank you for looking at this.

OneDrive Video Link for 20101123_KitchenDancingAdobeChokeAt37SecondMark.mp4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How strange. This clip locks up my Mac version of Premiere at the same 37 sec time. This can only mean one thing: the video file is corrupt. If this is occuring on multiple clips from the same camera/phone, it is likely the camera/phone itself is somehow writing bad blocks to the file. Playing the file in VLC, I it plays past that point without crashing, however, you can notice some visual artifacting at exactly that point. If you're able to transcode those files, you're going to have to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines