Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjust GOP size (number of M frames) in Media Encoder export settings

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

I am trying to adjust the number of B frames in my H.264 exported video, or disable them entirely (leaving only I and P frames). It appears that the setting would be # of M frames as referenced in this document: Export settings reference for Adobe Media Encoder

I know that this is done by default with the Baseline profile but for our needs we use Main or High, which appear to use B frames when encoded by Adobe. How is this field adjusted or accessed?

Adjusting the key frame interval has no effect.

I am running the latest version of CC: Premier Pro 12.1.2.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Thank you for your reply! I actually found a similar tool (free!) that provides hooks into many encoder parameters that are accessed via the Premiere Pro GUI. It's called Voukoder: Release 0.9.1 · Vouk/voukoder · GitHub

It is under active development but works great for our needs out of the box. Support the developer if you find his work useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the M and N parameters can be adjusted natively in the MPEG2 format, but we require this for H.264 encoding. I found a 3rd party plugin that appears to allow this customization but it is not cheap. I would expect this feature to be available in Premiere Pro - does anyone have any ideas on how to access it?

This is a screenshot from the 3rd party plugin that I found (x264 PRO, x264 PROBD & x264 PROVR | x264 PRO 😞

GOP Settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to set a custom GOP structure for your H264 encodes, you'll need x264 Pro or an x264 frontend (4 x264 frontends).

x264 PRO may be the best solution for us non-coders.  (Of course, I'm assuming that you, like myself, don't want to write command lines in a UNIX shell.)

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply! I actually found a similar tool (free!) that provides hooks into many encoder parameters that are accessed via the Premiere Pro GUI. It's called Voukoder: Release 0.9.1 · Vouk/voukoder · GitHub

It is under active development but works great for our needs out of the box. Support the developer if you find his work useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines