Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Media Encoder CC constantly crashing during batch encodes

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

We just made the big switch to Premiere Pro CC for our TV shows and now that it's time to finalize our first few episodes we are having some major problems batch exporting segments of the show. Sometimes it works, sometimes it works half way through the batch list then crashes, sometimes it crashes right away. There is no consistency, other than crashes are happening all the time. Here's what is happening:

• AME 7.2.0.43 (64-bit)

• Mac OS X 10.9.1 on 2x2.66 GHx 6-Core Intel Xeon, 40 GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM

• Startup disk is SSD w/ 4GB free space (all footage is on external storage)

• Using Premiere Pro CC to export via AME.

• All recent updates insatlled as of 3/10/14.

The source footage is ProRes 422 720p 59.94 footage from AJA KiPros. Each project has 16 segments - these are individual sequences. There are 7 tracks of audio and 4-5 tracks of video in each. In addition to the video there are targa files that include the score bug, full screen graphics, etc (this is sports). There are also some Adoby Dynamic Link After Effects elements throughout.

Editing has been fairly crashless - however when I File > Export > Media and queue it up in AME, that's when the fun starts.

I can rarely get through an entire batch list - generally within a few files the preview window at the bottom shows that it has halted and nothing further will encode. There is no way to stop or close the program without force quitting. When I have tried to encode from Premiere Pro CC directly, it works, although it is much slower and will only do the one sequence at a time.

I have been trying to encode to two different formats from within AME:

1.) ProRes 422 720 59.94 (just like the source footage) with 4 channels of audio.

2.) ProRes 422 1080i29.97 with 4 channels of audio.

We have different broadcast partners so we need to deliver in these two difference specs. I get crashes regularly on both outputs.

Possibly unrelated but also weird - I've noticed that when AME starts this crashing cycle sometimes Premiere CC won't let me save anyome. The status bar comes up like it's going to save the project but it goes nowhere. I have to quit without saving. Weird.

Can anyone help me further troubleshoot? This is bordering near deal breaker to continue using this software if I have this much trouble when trying to get my project outputted. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does it crash in the same place all the time? What happens if you remove the Targa files?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it freezes when RAM is full on my computer.  Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started getting random crashes in my batch encodes too. However if I ensure that the timeline is rendered I get a higher success rate. If I export from the timeline and skip the queue it works each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you select the Prevent App Nap option on your Mavericks?

App Nap reduces application performance | Mac OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't aware of App Nap but have selected it now for Media Encoder, Premiere and After Effects.  Thanks for making me aware of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to send three timelines all the queue with the result being Premiere hanging and having to Force Quit. After that even a single export via the queue would result in a hang.  It would allow me to export directly out of Premiere however.

I cleared the cache and restarted AME with shift held to clear preferences.  That did allow a single timeline to go out through the queue.  However when I try to send multiple timelines out I still get a hang on Premiere.

I'm on OS 10.9.2, AME 7.2.2.29, Premiere 7.2.2

Anyone else having this issue with multiple exports to the queue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem on Win8.1 64bit and AME 7.2.2.29 (64-bit). Same amount of randomness. I can often encode a single file in the queue, but not always. On a watch folder, it consistently hangs on rendering. Not always in the same place.

I'm trans-coding from .wmv to H.264 .mp4. I've tried multiple configurations including placing the source files and output folder on separate physical (SSD) disks. No luck.

Does Adobe have any suggestions for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent four to Encoder, two timelines with Vimeo and H264 parameters. It hung on the fourth file and all was lost.  I resubmitted and it went just fine.  Still, one hates to take the chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with CC 2015 too, either PPro or AME, or both. Extremely long render times, like 16 hours to run a 45 minute sequence but it never actually makes, usually crashes about 20 minutes into it.

I took a 10 second clip and rendered it out as an avi file, which took 10 or 20 minutes btw. Imported the avi into AME CS6 and it rendered so fast I didn't see the progress bar flash by. something is wrong with render engine behind CC 2015

I have tried everything from all of the above.... What I want to know is how to roll back AME CC 2015, or get my CS6 to work with PPro 2015 directly so I can skip the AVI hassle .... I have already missed my project deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is a good-working suite, not sure why they had to mess with it. If you're having trouble with the new version, uninstall it and go back to using CS6.

And don't forget to submit a bug report... Adobe doesn't seem to read these Forums much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here - intermittent issues using batch exporting. It's been going on for a long time, I keep hoping each update will address it. I cannot identify a pattern for when it does/does not happen, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When no Adobe app running, please try deleting the following folder if it exists.

- My Documents > Adobe > Adobe Media Encoder

Delete "Adobe Media Encoder Preview Files" folder

- Delete the media cache

Win: <OS drive>:\Users\<current user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common.

Mac: /Users/<current user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Common

Delete "Media Cache" and "Media Cache Files" folders.

Then, please hold Shift key while launching AME.

This should clear the AME preferences and cache.  Now, please retry your encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what MMeguro wrote, also make sure that you do not have any breaks in your sequence that you are importing into AME. I had all of the above mentioned issues with AME crashing, so I went back and found a half second break in my 60 minute sequence. I closed it via ripple delete, and presto, everything is working perfectly in AME for me.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came in here because my Adobe Media Encoder was crashing when I was trying to export my project. I was editing a dance recital with 37 different dances. In between each song I was placing a title with a background. On both sides of every title I had a one second break. The title would fade in and fade out. So basically a song would end, one second break, title for the next song fades in for one second and stays on screen for eight seconds, fades out for another second (10 seconds total for each title) then another one second break before the next song started. Every attempt to export either directly in Premiere or in AME would crash.

Then I read your post but I really wanted to keep the one second breaks, so I tried moving my video layers up one layer in the timeline in Premiere leaving the bottom layer empty. I added a "Black Video" clip from the "New Item" icon in the Project tab and I ran that black video clip the entire length of my timeline and wouldn't you know it, the project successfully exported from Premiere and in the AME. Saved me from a big headache. Thanks for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I add to this that I have batch encoded as many as 11 feature length movies at a time, always crash-free on older versions.  I'm currently re-installing windows 7 because AME has crashed both times I've used it, said crashes being so severe they caused me to reset the computer, resulting in the destruction of W7 the second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MIke,

That's pretty severe, can you send us a bug report? http://adobe.ly/ReportBug
Also, can you try a test by encoding from a fresh 8.1 project rather than one you updated from 8.0.1?

Let us know the results.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the AME guys are off the hook...it just happened during an Encore build.  I'm running an Asus Z87-A which I've only had for a month or so.  We'll have to see what develops, crash-wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem, only on Mavericks though, with both CC and CC 2014. Quite annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running OSX 10.8.5 and I am running Adobe Creative Cloud. I am having AME crash issues as well. I have tried reinstalling Media Encoder and that did not resolve the issue. This recently started after the last update for AME. I can export fine (so far) through Adobe Premiere, but nothing queued from Premiere will encode. I can encode/convert fine any items not coming from Premiere.

When encoding, I get to about 75% - 99% complete and then it crashes. The encoding files (.aac, .m4v, .md0) remain in the directory until I delete them manually. When reopening AME, it still shows the queue as it was and ready to start encoding. I have not been able to find a fix yet for this either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue running 10.9.5 "When encoding, I get to about 75% - 99% complete and then it crashes. The encoding files (.aac, .m4v, .md0) remain in the directory until I delete them manually. When reopening AME, it still shows the queue as it was and ready to start encoding."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem since the update. the other big problem is that my audio, after those files that render, are not rendering where they are supposed to be on the timeline.  about a minute later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to try to sort out the issues here as I believe there may be more than one that appear to be the same, but are in fact different. If you are crashing it is helpful to know the following:

• What OS
  • What version of AME/PPro (Please be specific by getting the full version number in the About Adobe Media Encoder screen)
  • When is it crashing (Again, the more detail here about where it was in the encoding process the better)
  • What is your source (PPro project or media file (what kind?))
  • If the source if a PPro project, does it work when exporting directly from PPro?
  • What format are you exporting to?
  • Do other formats work? MPEG2, QuickTime, etc?
  • Have you tried with GPU rendering on? How about turning it off by switching to Software-only mode?
  • Have you tried disabling Native Sequence Loading? (AME Preferences: General > Enable Native Sequence Loading)

The more information you provide, the easier it is for us to track down the the issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines