• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AME 2019 will not start while After Effects is open.

People's Champ ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title says it all.  Starts and runs fine as long as AFter Effects is not running.  Using latest versions (hence the problems).

I was waiting for an update to see if it got fixed but I just figured I'd ask.  Thanks,

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Problem solved.

It was a permissions issue.

I run After Effects as admin (something I started doing recently because of another issue with a plug-in).

I hadn't tried to run AME with AE open since I made the change.

When I changed permissions about two months ago I immediately had problems

with Bridge (which I use all the time with AE) that I fixed by setting it to also run as admin.

This suddenly occurred to me today as I was opening AME so I shut it down, opened AE and then ran AME as admin and it wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, did you try clearing prefs in both apps? What OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No I haven't trashed my preferences yet.  I'm using W10.  What happens is the splash screen for AME comes up but nothing loads.  You know usually all the package and plugin names display as they load or whatever.  I see none of that..that splash screen just comes up and then hangs until I force quit.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, sounds like bad prefs or plugins. Try renaming the Documents\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder folder to see if prefs are the issue.

If not you can also try renaming the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2019\Support Files\Plug-ins folder to see if Plug-ins are the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Justin.  I'll look into that.  the weird part is that if AE is not open everything is fine so i'm skeptical that it's either the preferences or a plugin.  I'll give it a try though.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Justin,

So deleting AME prefs did not fix it. And renaming the plug-ins folder caused AE to crash on start (unable to load 3D module).

I appreciate your suggestions though. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh right, yea AE needs a lot of those default plugins to function. You could try removing any 3rd party plugin folders, but it's starting to sound more like an install issue. Still never experienced one like that though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yah who knows.  The problem is only with ME 2019 in combination with AE 2019.

I can open earlier versions of ME while AE 2019 is open.

And I can open ME 2019 while earlier versions of AE are open.

I just can't open ME 2019 while AE 2019 is open.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here's something interesting:  When I open the task manager AE has 3 processes associated with it:  The main app, Team Projects Local Hub (not sure why that's there), and Dynamic Link Manager 2019.   If I manually kill the Dynamic Link Manager then ME will start normally. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved.

It was a permissions issue.

I run After Effects as admin (something I started doing recently because of another issue with a plug-in).

I hadn't tried to run AME with AE open since I made the change.

When I changed permissions about two months ago I immediately had problems

with Bridge (which I use all the time with AE) that I fixed by setting it to also run as admin.

This suddenly occurred to me today as I was opening AME so I shut it down, opened AE and then ran AME as admin and it worked.

The final interesting thing is that this requirement that apps be running with the same permissions in order for some integration to function only applies when the apps are the same version.  Using earlier version of AME (or bridge) worked fine with the current version of AE even when running with different permissions.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Those darn permissions issues, like the hardest to identify and make you wanna pull your hair out. Yea I've noticed Adobe apps have trouble when launching in Admin mode, inability to drag and drop files, and other weird things. Glad you got this one figured out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines