• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AME produces tiny h264 file even though its set to CBR 120Mbps

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to encode an mp4/h.264 of a slowly changing gradient background with text overlays (generated in AE). With a 2min clip, 3840x1620px, encoder set to CBR 120Mbps, AME says it will produce a file about 1.7GB, it actually produces a file of 92.6MB that is riddled with banding and compression artefacts.

BIC_Pastel_Quotes-Test_1_006717.jpg

This is an example source frame. I've tried encoding directly from the AE composition or exporting a tiff sequence from AE and encoding that. I've tried a variety of VBR/CBR and bit rate settings. All with no change. It comes out as 92.6MB whatever I do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I've seen posts suggesting that perhaps best not to encode .mp4 direct from AE. Perhaps export to an intermediate codec, then use Media Encoder for the H.264 encode.

Second, highly compressed formats have issues with large areas of solid color, doesn't compress well. Blocks/banding. Might help to add some "grain" meaning "video noise" to give the compressor something to work with.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had no problems encoding from an AE comp in the past, and as mentioned above, I've tried exporting uncompressed from AE and encoding from that, which produced an identical file down to the byte.

Adding a little noise is a very good idea. Not ideal as this is destined for a 20ft wide 4k display. The player can only handle h264 though so needs must.

Thanks Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines