• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Archive Performance Video - What's the best codec?

New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I do video work for a Ballet company, including filming performances and creating and maintaining the archive. Previously my workflow was to render out a master file, and then create versions from that; i.e. I'd render out a Quicktime h.264 master at a data rate of 20mbps. Then from that file I'd re-export DVDs, small size Mp4s, etc. One of the reasons I did this is that I could include my chapter markers in the Quicktime file and credit info, which was very convenient. I also keep the original video files.

Now since Apple announced they wouldn't be supporting Quicktime for Windows anymore I have been looking for an alternative master file. I've tried DNxHR and Cineform, but those file sizes are HUGE! I currently shoot with two Canon c100 Mark ii, which capture at a data rate of 24mbps, so I definitely don't need a master file at a higher bit rate than the original footage. I don't have the storage capacity to handle a gig per each minute of footage, which has roughly been the file sizes I've seen in my test exports. There is a data rate limiter in Adobe Media Encoder, but since the 2018 update, I haven't been able to use it. The info is grayed out and my previous export settings that used the data rate limiter are getting an encoding error when I export.

What am I doing wrong, if anything, when exporting in these new codecs and what do other people use as their master files when exporting?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?