• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bits per channel

Participant ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When encoding a Prores master, should I choose 8 bpc or 16 bpc?  Is the 16 bpc worth the extra time it takes to encode?  There is a noticeable difference in the video image quality?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

It depends on what you're working on.

Is this video? Animation? If it's video, was it captured in 10-bit and you did heavy color correction? Is this from After Effects and you did a lot of work with lights or gradients, so you see heavy banding?

It completely depends on what project you're working on. Can you give more details about what you're doing?

If you shot 8-bit footage and you're just editing it, or even if you did some graphics in AE, it doesn't automatically make your video look better

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what you're working on.

Is this video? Animation? If it's video, was it captured in 10-bit and you did heavy color correction? Is this from After Effects and you did a lot of work with lights or gradients, so you see heavy banding?

It completely depends on what project you're working on. Can you give more details about what you're doing?

If you shot 8-bit footage and you're just editing it, or even if you did some graphics in AE, it doesn't automatically make your video look better if you export out as 16-bpc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  (Sorry for my belated one.).

It's 4K video, 4-2-2 color space.  I looked for the bit depth in Media Info but I don't see the color bitrate listed.  I don't see it listed in the metadata in Resolve, either.  (I did not use heavy color correction, just basic correction in Resolve 15.  No After Effects.)     Any idea how I find out the bit depth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, sorry for the delayed reply. I just realized that I stopped receiving email notifications from the forum.

MediaInfo can tell you the bit depth of your footage: MediaInfo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, David, for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines