Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Certain mp4 files unable to open/convert

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have an editing job for which I get mp4 video files from someone that Premiere won't play. Turns out Media Encoder isn't able to convert them to a viewable codec either ("source compression type is not supported").

VLC player does play the files, and is able to convert them to an mp4 version that is playable in Premiere, but since VLC on the Mac has no batch conversion it's not very practical to use that.

I've attached a screenshot of the "media information" that VLC is able to show on one of those clips. Maybe someone can tell me why Premiere/Media Encoder can't play/convert them? Any tips on a batch converter that can?

Thanks!

Harald

TOPICS
Error or problem , Feature request , Formats , How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

attachment.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do! Thanks for the tip Peru Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using macOS to convert the file?

Right-click and choose Services > Encode Selected Video File.

macOS - Right-click video file > Services > Encode Selected Video FilesmacOS - Right-click video file > Services > Encode Selected Video Files

If you're using this as source, I'd go with Apple ProRes422 but that'll be about 1GB per minute at 1080p.  Assuming this converts, it should work well in any Adobe video application (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder, Predude, Audition, etc.).

Encode Media options set to Apple ProResEncode Media options set to Apple ProRes

You could also try "1080p" for a MP4.  As an AV Foundation Frameworks created H264/AAC QuickTime, it should also work in any Adobe video application (but it's MP4).

Encode Media options set to 1080p (H264/AAC)Encode Media options set to 1080p (H264/AAC)

As far as why it's playing in VLC player but not Premeire Pro/Media Encoder:  The file is probably something that AV Foundation Frameworks supports (what Apple replaced QuickTime as system driver with) but Adobe Video/Audio does not.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that option exists. Unfortunately Mac OS also can't open this file.

Since my original post I've found that Handbrake can read them and (batch-)convert them. So I'm able to use the clips now.

Still, I think it's odd that Media Encoder can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines