• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compatibility of export presets between CS5.5 and CS6?

Participant ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a ton of custom presets that I've developed over several years. I tried importing them into CS6 by copying the custom presets from here:

\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\AME\5.0

to here:

\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\AME\6.0

I can see the custom presets in AME but only SOME of the presets in the export settings format/preset boxes from Premiere Pro CS6. e.g. AVI show up but not the presets for H264 or Windows Media formats etc (they don't appear).

Are the presets incompatible between CS5.5 and CS6 for some formats (maybe there are new settings that weren't in the old version)?

Thanks,

Paul.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Hi Paul,

Some of your CS5 presets are compatible, some aren't. There were some pretty significant changes to several of the encoders in CS6, so the data in the old presets won't map correctly anymore. I can't remember the full list off the top of my head, but Windows Media definitely changed. You'll need to rebuild those presets from scratch.

One confusing area is that in AME CS6 we have both a new H.264 and H.264 Blu-ray encoder, as well as the older encoders which are now marked H.264 (Legacy) a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Some of your CS5 presets are compatible, some aren't. There were some pretty significant changes to several of the encoders in CS6, so the data in the old presets won't map correctly anymore. I can't remember the full list off the top of my head, but Windows Media definitely changed. You'll need to rebuild those presets from scratch.

One confusing area is that in AME CS6 we have both a new H.264 and H.264 Blu-ray encoder, as well as the older encoders which are now marked H.264 (Legacy) and H.264 Blu-ray (Legacy). (For the record, MPEG4 also falls into this category.) If you import older presets for these formats, they should be added to the Legacy encoders, but not the new encoders.

Rather than copy/pasting the preset files into the folder, I suggest you use the Import function (under the new Preset menu or the button in the new Preset Browser) to add the files to AME CS6. You should get an appropriate warning via this method if the preset isn't compatible with any of the encoders, rather than the silent failure that occurs when you place them in the folder.

-=TimK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Tim - that makes sense.

I guess I was due to re-organise my presets anyway, wont be a bad thing.

Thanks,

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim or Paul:

when in CS 6.0 and right click presets or in the panel to import presets...where is Adobe storing our presets? I realize we can likley change this, but i can't seem to find them....i also have a full set in 5.5 that i would like to transfer over to CS 6.

Thanks,....

MAC OS by the way...

EDIT:  long night-- i actually meant, presets for my EFFECT settings...that's what i'd like to import from 5.5....Sorry fot wrong reply/question in wrong thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporter Presets for AME are stored here:

Win: \Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\AME\6.0\Presets

Mac: /Users/<user_name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Common/AME/6.0/Presets

NOTE: On Mac OS 10.7, the user Library folder is hidden by default.

i actually meant, presets for my EFFECT settings

Best to start a new thread about that on the Premiere Pro forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have both a new H.264 and H.264 Blu-ray encoder

Inquiring minds want to know.  What's new about them?  Is Adobe now using the superior x264 encoder perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inquiring minds want to know.  What's new about them?  Is Adobe now using the superior x264 encoder perhaps?

Still the MainConcept encoder. The upgrades that make it "new" are mostly under-the-hood changes which make a bigger difference to those of us developing the software; the old (Legacy) encoders rely on some rather crusty, old code. As previously mentioned, the reason we included the Legacy encoders is because we weren't able to wire up some of the old functionality like Surcode.

From the user-facing perspective all you'll see in the new encoders is a cleaned up UI in the Export Settings dialog. There were bug fixes and performance improvements, too, but nothing worth shouting about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the MainConcept encoder.

Aw, damn.

Any chance of changing that ever? x264 is free you know.  No license required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, you know the drill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have seen that coming, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

x264 the software is free (in the GPL form) but still doesn't license you for the H.264 it creates. For that you need additional patent permission.

But..... x264pro just got launched. It is an AME / x264 integration and it does do all the patent royalties, thus making it possible, and easy, to use x264 with Adobe Creative Suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

The upgrades that make it "new" are mostly under-the-hood changes which make a bigger difference to those of us developing the software; the old (Legacy) encoders rely on some rather crusty, old code. As previously mentioned, the reason we included the Legacy encoders is because we weren't able to wire up some of the old functionality like Surcode.

Tim,

I utilize the full version of the Surcode 5.1 Dolby Digital add-in which is still included on a trial basis in CS6 and I am just in the process of upgrading to CS6.  Your quote above seems to imply the ability to use the Surcode 5.1 audio encoder with the legacy video encoders.  As far as I have been able to tell (and a large frustration too), you have had to encode your DD 5.1 audio separately from your video in order to maintain 5.1 audio and had to import into Encore separately.  So you could not use dynamic link with Pr Pro and you also had to encode the streams separately.

So are you saying that the Surcode plugin only works with the legacy encoders not the new ones?  I guess if we still have to encode separately it does not really matter.

What Surcode functionality is in the old encoders that is not in the new?

With CS6, since the video encoders have been re-written, can we finally encode 5.1 Blu-Ray discs and DVD's all at once and pull them into encore that way?  Or perhaps use dynamic link from Pre Pro to Encore?  Or must you still encode them separately even with the new encoders.

When I heard about the CS6 programming and a few days where long-lasting annyoyances were fixed, I was hoping this item was on the list!

Thanks,

BJBBJB1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that folder in my MAC and it's driving me crazy. I go to: /users/<user name>/ AND NOTHING no folder called library. Im on a Mac Pro MAC OSX 10.7.4

I have run a search for AME for Presets and nothing turns up.  When I run my Media Encoder App. the custom presets are all there but I can't seem to find where they live on my computer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post above and follow the link:

NOTE: On Mac OS 10.7, the user Library folder is hidden by default.

Alternately, you can get to that folder using AME's assistance. Right-click on a custom preset in the Preset Browser panel and choose "Reveal Preset File".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your quick response.  Greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi TimKL When you said "Windows Media definitely changed.You'll need to rebuild those presets from scratch", in CS6 A.M.E., what are the settings we are to use to create a WMV files that can play in both WMP11(XP) and WMP12(WIn7) if I can not see any codecs for said presets (my Windows Media Player 12 is installed correctly and plays)? I have CS6 Design & Web Premium installed (my A.M.E is 6.0.3) and my AEM has no Windows presets showing. I am in Win7 64bit. Is there anything we can download from Adobe (ie WMV.epr to import into AME CS6) that will correct the CODECs/Presets and surface them correctly in Adobe Media Encoder Presets list, as opposed to having to rebuild them? Obviously just being in Windows 7 64bit with Windows Media Player as part of the the OS, the Codecs for that WMP would only work in Win7 not XP's separate WMP11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines