• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compression of an MOV file

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an mov file that after encoding from Tricaster is sitting at 40gb. My client wants the files that we are giving him to be at 5gb max. Is there any way to get this down to that size without loosing too much quality? Are main preset is h.264 and the videos settings are at 1920x1080.

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum by a moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the data rate in your encoding settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TriCaster HD .mov files can hit 100mbps, so using H.264 will definitely reduce file sizes.

The YouTube 1080p preset is 16mbps, or try Match Source - High Bitrate at 10-12mbps. You could encode shorts samples using different presets, say 1 minute each, to check quality and resulting file sizes. Then get an idea of finished size for the large video by multiplying the 60-second sample file size x minutes.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor (Newtek Reseller)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best tool I found to use is Handbreak (www.hadbreak.fr).  Supports multiple CPUs, Win, MacOS, Linux, etc., fairly efficient, zillion settings, lots of industry standard presets, and doesn't break the bank.

Great when you need to convert a variable frame-rate file (lower-end camcorders) to fixed frame-rate for use in Premier.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might find a video storage calculator helpful:

Video Space Calculator - Digital Rebellion

You can also segment video-only movies in the After Effects preferences (Preferences > Segment Video-only Movie Files At).  Although, form what you've descried I'm not sure that will be helpful for what you need.  I've used it for storage volumes with formatting that has a file size limit as well as for cloud delivery that has a per file size cap.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines