Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting MOV to MP4

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forum,

I'm using AME CS6 and would like to convert a MOV file to MP4. My format options are F4V, FLV, H.264, H.264 (legacy), and MP3. I tried to export using H.264 and ended up with a 3GP file. Is it possible to export a MP4 file using one of my 5 format options? Or are there additional steps that I'll need to take? If so, what are they?

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Export or render , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

In  H.264 export settings go to the Multiplexer tab and switch from 3GPP to MP4.  Your output file extention should change from .3gp to .mp4

Adobe Media Encoder CS6001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.264 should generate an MP4 file, assuming you have either Premiere Pro or After Effects installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In  H.264 export settings go to the Multiplexer tab and switch from 3GPP to MP4.  Your output file extention should change from .3gp to .mp4

Adobe Media Encoder CS6001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Method 1 use online converter like zamzar, onlince convert, cloud convert

This method does not need to install any app. but is it not convinent.

Method 2 use Handbrake or freemaker video converter which is a software for free

This method is free, but not easy to use

Method 3 use a paid software like iDealshare VideoGo to convert MOV to MP4

This method needs to pay, but easy to use and professional and convert without quality loss and has advanced editing feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to convert MOV to MP3, iDealshare VideoGo can help you with all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing a light edit on an AE piece from February, and I could not get my mov files (some from iPhone) to convert correctly to MP4 through a render, the media encoder (would not match source) or Quicktime. I had to go to Handbreak.
Am I missing something?

Adobe stopped supporting H264.mov but did not put a way to convert them in Media Encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carolyn,

Media Encoder should convert you MOV (Quicktime) file to MP4 (H.264). Do not use match source option as sometime the compression of one file is not supported in another format for you it may be a variable bitrate MOV, H.264 codec file which is not converting to the same while using Match Source. So, choose the settings manually that matches your clip from Video tab or choose any Preset that matches the settings.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you.

Maybe I did it wrong. I chose MPEG4 and i was not able to choose 'match source', it was greyed out.

I also tried looking for it on the left side of media coder and didn't see it over there.

I am actually teaching a class tomorrow on motion graphics with Adobe where this might come up since it's new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handbrake was pretty easy!  Saved the day for me.  Great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. I still cannot find that function. When I choose MPEG4, it wants to resize the video for some reason. It makes them smaller and I don't know how to change this. This time I am including a screenshot for you.

thanks

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 7.18.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT choose MPEG-4, that creates cell phone video (3GP). Start with H.264 format, then choose a preset from dozens offered.

If your cell phone video is Variable Frame Rate, may need to first manually convert to Constant Frame Rate using Handbrake (set to 29.97fps usually). I believe you DO have Variable Frame Rate source now that I look, the source says 22.918, typically odd kind of number one gets with VFR.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much. I was doing it wrong.

I thought H264 was the crime so I didn't pick that, I guess it's the combination with a .mov that's bad?

Yes I guess it's naughty to use iPhone video but I'm going to keep using it!

Adobe should make Adobe Media Encoder be able to deal with this instead of having to use Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Premiere is supposed to now handle Variable Frame Rate video footage natively, have not tried it myself.

You are correct, H.264 in a .mov file is not the best, you want that .mp4 file.

Not naughty to use iPhone video, just be aware of the workarounds needed to utilize that footage. Variable Frame Rate is becoming more common so we just have to live with it.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think maybe use a video converter to convert your files is an easier method.

Free HD Video Converter Factory and Handbrake are 2 software i love most. these 2 can help you easily convert MOV to MP4. i personally think HD Video Converter Factory is easier to operate even for novice like me.  Anyway, i think this maybe the easiest way to convert MOV to MP4.

I hope my advice can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can click https://soundcloudmp3.online to convert annything you want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i did what is shown in the picture but the video is black only with sound when i import the video on the premire pro its just a audio thats why when i do what u said its just a black screen video what should i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm an editor receiving different types of video files like mix of .mov and mp4, etc.

Is there a way to convert them all into 1 same formats before I combine and edit them into 1 sequence?

I've noticed that premiere is having difficulty playing back and exporting the videos probably bc they all have a different formats/codecs while my sequence is set into 1 specific settings for the whole clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines