• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I lose quality if I export to H264 multiple times?

Contributor ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working for a theater company that is editing several one act plays for a festival. The source footage is .h264 (1080p, 4 Mbps). We have multiple editors who are each cutting a play. When they're done, they're exporting their final cut to .h264 (8 Mbps). Then, the plan was for me to put their .h264 final cuts into a sequence and export again to .h264 (8 Mbps).

Are we losing quality each time we export to .h264?

Since the final output will likely be viewed on computers and consumer TVs, the quality loss may be insignificant (even at these medium-low bit rates)?

If not, I could put the editors' actual edited sequences into a single sequence and export that (so that the export is referencing the source footage).

TOPICS
Export or render

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Technically yes. Its usually best to only keep h264 as the final output to reduce losslessness. Its sort of like saving a jpg over and over. Your compressing an already compressed file. However, it really depends on how the inital quality is as well. You might be fine with the final output. I have definitely composited multiple h264 videos in to one and the final output was h264 and everyone was happy with the results. Its definitely a try and see how it looks scenario. 

Short answer. Technicall

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically yes. Its usually best to only keep h264 as the final output to reduce losslessness. Its sort of like saving a jpg over and over. Your compressing an already compressed file. However, it really depends on how the inital quality is as well. You might be fine with the final output. I have definitely composited multiple h264 videos in to one and the final output was h264 and everyone was happy with the results. Its definitely a try and see how it looks scenario. 

Short answer. Technically yes but it might be fine as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for your help!

I'm going to use the new Production workflow to put the sequences together so that the final output is referencing the source footage. Like you said, it may not be necessary (the client may not be able to tell the difference); but it's a chance for me to learn the new Production workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines