• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

effect (Optical Flares) shows up in video when rendered with Render queue, but not when using AME

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Installed the AE 2020 update today. I had to manually move the Optical Flares plugin (Videocopilot) to the new folder (used copy paste). AME presets were gone (reimported them). After rendering the video the OF effects I used weren't visible. The workaround: rendering in AE through the Render queue. 
Is this a known issue, or am I the one making a mistake?

Thanks! - Remon

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing of the sort. Optical Flares never worked correctly in "headless" rendering due to it being highly dependent on a specifics graphics acceleration with OpenGL. Thus it only works with a normal AE render and not AME or for that matter even just an AE command line render. It's simply a limitation of how it's designed.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, Mylenium. I'm not really a tech-guy, but can you explain why I seem to get good Optical Flares renders when using AME2019? Did something change between these two versions of the software? For some reason it did work for me before. Does Mac / PC have anything to do with it? I use both. 

I appreciate the help! - Remon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mylenium said, the Render Cue is capable of using all GPU accelerated effects, the AME or Command-Line rendering uses AE in the background and there is little or no GPU support available there. One option is to use Render Garden which uses a combination of the Render Cue and multiple cores to render. I have not found a single effect that has problems using Render Garden. It is just one of many rendering solutions that greatly speeds up AE. It's my favorite: RenderGarden | Mekajiki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds great! I will definitely check that out, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was having this issue as well just barely, and like you, know that it had worked in AME before at some point. The solution is to update Optical Flares. I went on Video Copilot's website and sure enough, the version I had was outdated. As soon as I reinstalled the newest version, the flares showed up rendering in AME without any issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for making this point, @Jarom5CE4.

Whenever there's a new version of After Effects, we've always needed bare in mind that we may need a new version of a 3rd party plug-in as well.  We had a pretty good stretch of time from around AE CC2014 to CC2018 where we didn't need to keep as much of a watchful eye on this.  But especially with AE 2022 (and to some degree 2020 and 2021, we're back to it being really, really important that we're properly balancing our OS verison, AE version, and plug-in version.

@nouvellem88117803, can you confirm which version of Video Copilot Optical Flares that you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Warren, I'm the OP, different account. Been a while since this issue. but updating fixed it in the end. On dec 13th 2021 VideoCopilot released updates on all their plugins to be compatible with the new multi-rendering function of AE, so now's a great time to check this balance of versions once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines