• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gif quality in Photoshop and Media Encoder

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've animated gifs with Photoshop and Media Encoder but those are not in the same quality! I'd checked "Use Maximum Render Quality" in Media Encoder already but Photoshop exports better one.

TOPICS
Export or render , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

To be honest, fr, most people prefer the quality of gifs created in Photoshop. It's the best tool for that job, I think. 

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, fr, most people prefer the quality of gifs created in Photoshop. It's the best tool for that job, I think. 

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it was that way for a long time. Why? Reason is simple:
GiF is a graphics/image format not a movie/video format and as such it is better coded into Photoshop. So always if yo work in any other software (AE, PPro) it is muh better to render video into f. eg. h254 and then import to PS and export as a GiF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idk if that was a typo with "H.254" but:
*** You should export as a PNG sequnece and than imporat that sequecne into Photoshop as a video layer. PNGs are lossless, and any video encoder will inherintly lower the quality of the export before you even get it into Photoshop. 

Also, ensure that the timeline framerate is set to the origional videos framerate prior to importing, or Photoshop might cut some frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to add a third option:

Export ProRes HQ or ProRes 4444 with Alpha at the desired duration (keeping in mind that Photoshop caps the GIF animation at 500 frames) and frame size from AE or PR, import that into PS, then export for web (legacy) to set the GIF options.

H264 and H265 introduce compression, (although as a 1st generation should be fine in Photoshop). 

PNGs require establishing the frame rate and duration in Photoshop which was already done on the AE/PS side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines