• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Good codec to convert mts to for file size?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have dSLR footage here that is in MTS format, and I am using macOS. I'm wondering what's a good codec to convert this to so I can edit it in Premiere? I tried Apple ProRes 422 standard and it blew up the file 10x. ProRes 422 LT was maybe around 7-8x the file size. There's a lot of footage here so i'd like to find something that's going to be gentle on filesize. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Ideally, MTS format is supported inside Adobe Premiere Pro. Here's the link which shows all the supported formats for PR: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-pro/using/supported-file-formats.html

Are you facing any issues while using/importing MTS files in Premiere Pro?

Let us know. We're here to help.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivangi, even if MTS files are supported, my understanding is they have poor playback and editing ability, especially on Mac. Even before putting them in Premiere, MacOS has a horrible time trying to play them. I got the idea to convert them to Apple ProRes from a youtube video which advised this workflow for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A good workflow might be creating proxies with either ProRess 422 Proxy or low-bitrate H.264, editing with those, and then replacing with the full-res MTS footage when you're ready for deliverables. You could do this with AME and manually link the full-res in Premiere, or you can actually create proxies with Premiere after importing the files into your project panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines