Highlighted

HEVC / H265 with Alpha Support in AME

Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple recently announced support for Alpha with HEVC. This is great news. Does anyone know about it being available in Creative Cloud / Media Encoder. Looking forward to a lightweight / compressed codec that supports Alpha. 

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/506/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HEVC / H265 with Alpha Support in AME

Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple recently announced support for Alpha with HEVC. This is great news. Does anyone know about it being available in Creative Cloud / Media Encoder. Looking forward to a lightweight / compressed codec that supports Alpha. 

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/506/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Great news!

I'll get you update on this soon.

Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Shivangi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really looking forward to this. Right now the only compressed codec that supports Alpha that works for Windows and Mac and plays back decently in programs like Isadora, MadMapper, Unity is HAP+Alpha and it takes forever to transcode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any more news on this? 

It's insane there are no compressed options for RGBA videos.  

Also really wish Image sequences in Operating systems were treated automatically like a stacked file thing. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in response. The engineering team has kept adding this feature under review. Though there is no news when will this be implemented/added to the application.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there some new informations about it?

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also curious if there's been an update to this. 

In Catalina, it looks like you can convert a video with an alpha channel (I.e., APR 4444+A) right in the finder by right clicking and selecting the encode option. Transparency included. Not sure if you can queue things and there are limitted options so it isn't ideal, but certainly a decent work around for now. 

Going to be running a test on this and update here with results. 

It also looks like you can do it natively in Compressor or even just the terminal:

https://kitcross.net/hevc-web-video-alpha-channel/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that encoding via finder works but there are limitted options:

• Resolution can't be manual, must be FHD or UHD
  • Can't control quality
  • No progress bar or queue
  • No controls for frame rate or audio

canvokey_0-1591631844536.png

You can follow along in activity monitor but all it really tells you is that the encoding process is active and it only uses the CPU, which is a damn shame. 

canvokey_1-1591631904959.png

If you select multiple videos and right click to encode, it will convert all of them - but one at a time, and you cannot track progress at all. 

For my test I did a 20 second video, conversion from APR4444+A. The video was just animation of a grid in AE. It took 2 minuts to render, To convert it took 6 minutes for that same file. So it's VERY slow. The codec extension is .mov. 

The size of the file went from 250 MB to 2 MB and the frame rate defaults to the target video. So that's great. 

After Effects and Premiere does not recognize the alpha channel, so this codec really only works as a delivery codec - not a storage codec or editable codec. Though, I suspect Final Cut X does support it - I just haven't used it in 5 years. It's attached to an old apple ID so I need track down that p/w so I can test it. 

I also wante to check to see what programs that I regularly use support the codec with Alpha in playback:

• Quicktime YES
  • Finder YES
  • MadMapper 3.7.5 YES
  • VLC YES (but can't check for transparency)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Canvokey,

following Apps are supporting HEVC with Alpha Channel

• iMovie (OS)
  • LumaFusion (iPad)

Kind regards

Lucas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines