• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change variable frame rate to constant?

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am exporting a mpeg HDV file that has a constant frame rate to a H264 video (.mp4) video to upload to a web-base video player. I'm actually using the preset in Media Encoder "YouTube HD 720p 29.97".

The online video web interface I use requires a constant frame rate. But when looking at the video in MediaInfo it shows the video file as a variable frame rate. After looking through the settings in Media Encoder I cannot find any option to correct that.  I see where you can change the frame rate and it is at 29.97. So you would think it would be constant but it is not. And it does not have any settings, that I can see, to change from variable to constant. I do see the bitrate settings, but that is not the issue.

I also have Apple Compressor and that successfuly does a constant frame rate, but if possible I'd rather use Adobe Media Encoder. So does anybody know how to change this setting? Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Hi CLCTV,

To close this thread, exports interpreted as variable frame rate are now interpreted as constant in AME CC 2014 (8.0), and later. Please create a new thread if you are still having trouble with this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mediainfo is wrong.  PP cannot export variable frame rates.

Try Gspot instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I tried Gspot and I couldn't find where it showed it it was a constant or variable frame rate. All it said was 30 fps (but it should be 29.97).

So I tried Media Inspector and it also said "Frame rate mode: variable". It went into more detail and said minimum frame rate 29.970 fps and maximum frame rate: 30.00fps. I also tried the file I transcoded with Apple Compressor with Media Inspector and it read "Frame rate mode: Constant." So two codec readers, MediaInfo and Media Inspector, read that it is a variable frame rate coming from Adobe Media Encoder. The obvious answer will be, well then use Compressor, thing is I don't care for it otherwise and would much rather use Media Encoder if I can solve this issue. Below is the resuts from Media Inspector:

* * * MediaInspector for Mac - Version 2.0, build 896

* * * ©2012 by Diego Massanti

* * * MediaInfo Lib by Jerome Martinez

* * * Raw File Report for Encoder_CBR_NoAdv.mp4

General

Format                           : MPEG-4

Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2

Codec ID                         : mp42

File size                        : 150 MiB

Duration                         : 3mn 56s

Overall bit rate                 : 5 318 Kbps

Encoded date                     : UTC 2012-10-03 23:09:47

Tagged date                      : UTC 2012-10-03 23:09:52

�TIM                             : 00:00:00:00

�TSC                             : 30000

�TSZ                             : 1001

Video

ID                               : 1

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : High@L3.1

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames

Codec ID                         : avc1

Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 5 000 Kbps

Width                            : 1 280 pixels

Height                           : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate mode                  : Variable

Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps

Minimum frame rate               : 29.970 fps

Maximum frame rate               : 30.000 fps

Standard                         : NTSC

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.181

Stream size                      : 141 MiB (94%)

Language                         : English

Tagged date                      : UTC 2012-10-03 23:09:47

Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177

Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio

ID                               : 2

Format                           : AAC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile                   : LC

Codec ID                         : 40

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 317 Kbps

Maximum bit rate                 : 328 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Channel positions                : Front: L R

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Stream size                      : 8.96 MiB (6%)

Language                         : English

Tagged date                      : UTC 2012-10-03 23:09:47

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The obvious answer will be, well then use Compressor

Hardly.

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/News/Feature/Tutorial-Encoding-H.264-Video-in-Adobe-Media-Encoder-CS...

The obvious answer is that more than one program is incorrectly reporting the frame rate.  Like I said, PP can't output variable frame rate video.  I'm not aware of any application that can.  Variable bitrates, sure.  But not frame rates.  Video is pretty much stuck to only one rate for any given stream.  Any application that's reading it as 'variable' simply isn't reading it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, PP can't output variable frame rate video.  I'm not aware of any application that can.

Not common, but it is out there. Here is a link to a description of how mediainfo tags it as variable framerate:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/forums/forum/297610/topic/5551130

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completly agree Jim, I don't want Compressor to be the answer.

And Stan, your link shows that others are fustrated by this too.

I did a test were I changed the fps from 29.97 to 30fps. Then in Media Inspector it still showed a variable frame rate with the minimum being 30fps and the max being 30.030fps. So if it is true that it is creating a variable frame rate,  it is only .030 fps. Very minimal I would think?

But for me specifically, it is a problem, because we are using a company BrightCove to host our videos, and they are saying my videos have a variable frame rate and don't meet their suggested requiments. BrightCove is a company were you can upload a video file and they make multiple renditions to be able to play on multiple devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't read that link as frustration: the poster is using matroska files, which provide/allow variable frame rates, and he wanted to understand how Mediainfo was detecting them.

I did a quick test. Exported a short bit with the Youtube H264 p720 29.97 preset (the one you are using). Mediainfo reads it as variable frame rate with a nominal rate of 29.97, a min of 29.970, and a max of 30.000. Gspot reads is as 30.000 (not 29.97 as it should).

I don't know what to make of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client sent me an MP4 file, which should be 23.976.  DaVinci Resolve 9 identifies it as 24.000, which is a problem.  MediaInfo says VFR, min: 23.976, max: 24.000.  To fix this, I transcoded to another codec using ffmbc, but I would like to know how to fix it without transcoding for the sake of both speed and quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's caused by bad timestamp markers on each frame from the AME shipped h.264 encoder.

Grab a trial of x264pro and not only will it look better it'll be constant rate with the correct markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar problem. Were you ever able to get this resolved? Did x260Pro fix the problem for you?

I found that if I used MPEG Streamclip to export the movie, the FPS would say 'Constant', but if I used Handbrake, AME or Squeeze 9, the 'Frame rate mode' always said 'Variable' ! Regretfully, MPEG Streamclip doesn't allow me to choose a 'high' profile, so I had to look for a higher quality encoder.

In this case I am trying to export to Amazon, and they are flat out rejecting the file because of the 'variable' frame rate mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me insane. This is making editing videos for our church take 5 times longer than it should having to manually unlink audio and video and manually sync them up. I'm desperate for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi CLCTV,

To close this thread, exports interpreted as variable frame rate are now interpreted as constant in AME CC 2014 (8.0), and later. Please create a new thread if you are still having trouble with this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines