• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it safe to UNINSTALL old versions of Adobe Media Encoder?

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three versions of AME installed on my Macbook Pro: 2019, 2018 and 2017. These three apps are 3 of the Top 4 largest apps on my system (2017 + 2018 are taking up nearly 7GB of space). I have scoured the web/forums trying to find the answer to this question. Is it okay to remove old versions of Media Encoder? One would assume that you can, but for some reason information on this is very ambiguous/non-existent.

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 11.18.26 AM.png

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Yes, you can uninstall old versions if you do not need them to Dynamic Link to old versions of other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can uninstall old versions if you do not need them to Dynamic Link to old versions of other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I guess my follow-up would be—what IS Adobe Media Encoder? I don't actually know if I have anything "Dynamically Linked". I only barely recognize the AEM interface...I'm not even sure what app would link to it? After Effects? Premiere Pro? Audition? I sincerely appreciate you answering my initial question, thank you. If you have any further insight regarding my follow-up I'd really appreciate it. I primarily am using Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro and InDesign (and Bridge, to some extent) daily/weekly but rarely the video/audio apps.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

peaceprop  wrote

Thanks. I guess my follow-up would be—what IS Adobe Media Encoder? I don't actually know if I have anything "Dynamically Linked". I only barely recognize the AEM interface...I'm not even sure what app would link to it? After Effects? Premiere Pro?

see here:

Encode and export video and audio with Media Encoder

If you don't know what Adobe Media Encoder is, chances are that you don't use it and don't need it.  But leave the latest version installed just in case it has codecs you might need later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with @Peru Bob. You can uninstall the application if you are not using it. Since you have the Creative Cloud desktop application, you can install the latest version of the application anytime. However, it is important for you to know that the CC 2017 version is not available to get downloaded anymore.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines