jpeg2000 lossless encoding followup questions

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a prior discussion Re: Does Media Encoder support lossless JPEG 2000 MXF, or only lossy? the winning post was that it's lossless. But subsequently I've learned that there are two kinds of lossless files: mathematically lossless and visually lossless. For example this link discusses visually lossless compression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3649057/

So my questions are:

1. Is the jpeg2000 output mathematically lossless or visually lossless?

2. If it's not proprietary information, what compression method is used in jpeg2000 encoded files?

3. Why does the lossless metadata flag not appear in MediaIinfo, for example. This caused me to wonder if the prior answer that it is lossless was accurate. MediaInfo of another jpeg2000 file shows this but the AME created file does not:

Compression mode                     : Lossless

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I assume that the jpeg2000 encoding is not mathematically lossless and will act accordingly.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines