• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac .264 Frame Size

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a custom display of 7680x1080 that I produce content for.  Before the 2017 upgrade, I could EXPORT A QuickTime Animation at 7680x1080 from AE and then use Media Encoder to re-encode to .264 at the same frame size.  Now there seems to be a 4K limit to the width of .264 frame size.  My only work around is to use Apple's Compressor for the .264 encoding.  I primarily work on PC.

Is there a reason for the imposed resolution limit to .264?  Any way to work around it?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 98% sure (but not 100% sure) that your issue ties into the deprecation of QuickTime (which Apple has been replaced with AV Foundation Frameworks).

Assuming that's correct, a QuickTime file allows you to use the CODEC with an out-of-spec frame size while the H264 format does not.

HVEC (H265) should allow you to create the larger, custom frame size movie, assuming that your workflow allows for a MP4 using H265 instead of H264.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So AV Foundation Framework is now the container and puts the limit of the frame size of the H.264 file? This seems to apple to OSX and iOS platforms.  But I am working on a Windows 10 machine.

I would love to use H.265, however the playback unit does not support it yet. Thank you for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it's not AV Foundation Frameworks.  It's the H264 specification.  QuickTime allowed you to work around that specification limit.

So, another way to put this is that you need QuickTime to generate the non-spec frame size.  The way to access that would be using Apple Compressor (I assume it was Compressor 3.5 that you were using as Compressor 4 and up are based on AVFF.

Also, I'm just making an informed guess here.  A lot of the non-standard frame size work that I've done relies heavily on QuickTime.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines