• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder 2020 just stops mid export!

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Encoder 2020 will not stop hanging on exports, not freezing, just stopping usually about a third of the way through. Both myself and my colleague on our two seperate machines are running into this issue on almost every export we send to Media Encoder.

We have been trying to export 15 short graphics based videos built in after effects, nothing particularly strenuous. Have spent the last few months rendering the same style videos through Media Encoder 2019 without any issues. As soon as we updated, the problems began!

It seems to freeze whenever you go to touch Media Encoder, After Effects or Premiere once the render has been started. I've been using this for years and I would like to think I'm fairly good at troubleshooting but everything I try doesnt fix it. Ive had to resort to rendering straight out of After Effects and then re-rendering straight out of Premiere.

If anyone knows how you would go about sorting the issue out and getting Media Encoder Working again, please send some help my way. This is making my job near enough impossible especially with looming deadlines.

System Specs:

i7-8550U 1.8GHz

8GB

64-bit Windows 10

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Export or render , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

This is what I was able to get to work for me. Your mileage may vary. When my Media Encoder would stop rendering I would click the "pause" button to pause the rendering operation that had stopped anyway. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager. Under "Background Processes" you'll see Adobe After Effects. Click on it and then click "End task". AE will come right back up but it will be at much lower memory use. Un-pause your render job in ME and after a few seconds it should start going again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. I've waited around 3 hours for it to just stop midway. Anybody knows how to solve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your computer is a bit underpowered, especially for multitasking.

What are the hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only using one hard drive and it's new so it only has about 30gb used up out of 500gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Problem doesn't happen everytime, but when it starts, I can't get it to work again unless I restart.

Mac Pro 2019 3.2 GHz 16 core | 32gb ram | AMD Radeon Pro Vega

Mac OS10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

should have mentioned:

Adobe Media Encoder Version 14.4 (Build 35)

After Effects Version 17.1.4 (Build 37)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE underpowered machines being the issue, I doubt it --- I've got a 7740 w/i9 and 96gb RAM, RTX 3000, and this still happens frequently. Might be a video driver issue, in that if I switch to the OpenCL vs. CUDA I get it less often, and like others renders in AE itself via the Render Queue works every time---at the expense of not being able to do any further work in AE until it's done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried uninstalling and then reinstalling creative cloud. It asked if I wanted to repair instead of uninstalling. I said okay. It's been a week and I haven't had it stop on me mid-export.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with dynamic link 🤷🏼‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, I updated, but no result, still stops... 

I use a MacBook 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem didn't stop for me when I uninstalled or updated Adobe Media Encoder, After Effects, or Premiere. It only fixed when I went to the Applications > Adobe Creative Cloud > Uninstalled Adobe Creative Cloud. It gave me this window and I selected "Repair." Since then Adobe Media Encoder has been working for me. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 9.34.35 AM.png

It's so frustrating so I hope this helps you @tasnadiotto 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, reinstalling/repairing did nothing, and it happens if I try to export with Premiere as well. (Also, the process won't go away unless I restart my PC). Not only will it not export, but BOTH programs freeze and the process can't be aborted. I deleted an old version, realizing I had forgotten to fix something ,and not only can I not export the new file, but Windows doesn't have the old one in the Recycle Bin for SOME reason... And it's due to be uploaded tomorrow.

Everything is up to date, though I HAVE attempted other versions to no avail.

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600X processor

-Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Super 

-16 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem and I tried everything without any solution. I later found the problem and fixed it by myself. This has nothing to do with hardware at all! If Media Encoder freezes and stopped, go to the error log (Ctrl+Alt+L) and it will show you the exact time in your video where the error is coming from. It's just 1 frame! Go back to Premiere Pro and delete that 1 frame, not the whole clip. That's all. It's funny, but it worked for me twice already. I do hope this helps you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same problem, premiere export doesnt work either, tried repairing, uninstall reinstalling and nothing works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I was able to get to work for me. Your mileage may vary. When my Media Encoder would stop rendering I would click the "pause" button to pause the rendering operation that had stopped anyway. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager. Under "Background Processes" you'll see Adobe After Effects. Click on it and then click "End task". AE will come right back up but it will be at much lower memory use. Un-pause your render job in ME and after a few seconds it should start going again. This happens when total memory in my system gets around 75% used and AE is using 15gb of that. There's more than enough memory to spare and I don't know why ME decides to quit when AE gets that high but it did. You do have to babysit your render job to repeat this proces but it worked on my end /shrug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that it worked, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too!! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logged in to reply to this and I never comment on things but thank you so much, this had me super stressed and I have a tight deadline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked right away! What?? Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just worked for me too! Thank you, I was just about to buy a new computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely hate that this worked.  Been trying different stuff all freaking day I'm so excited this project is over with. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't quite work for me, but what worked was saving the project and close down AE completely. Then open Media encoder by itself and import the AE project then select the desired composition. Render away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT A GOD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CRAZIEST SOLUTION IT WORKED LMAO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also works when it gets stuck rendering a comp in premiere. I can't believe it does, adobe needs to fix his sh*t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked, but it is literally,.... the stupidest glitch ever. Frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines