• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder can convert 24fps video to 30fps video. Impressive, but how?

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just tested something to match a certain upload requirement: converting a 2-minute video that was recorded and edited in 24fps to a 30fps video. Surprisingly enough, this worked.
The original video was 2:19 minutes, and the converted video is also 2:19 minutes. There are interviews and music in the video, and everything is still in sync and it doesn't seem to be speeded up.
Can someone tell me how this works?

ME can't just come up with new frames right?

Thanks in advance!

Pieter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a traditional film-to-video process called a 3:2 Pulldown, where frames are processed to fill up the same amount of time at the higher framerate. If you want to learn more of the technical details, take a look at https://www.extron.com/article/32pulldown

AME can come up with new frames, but it depends on your Frame Interpolation settings:

AME_Interpolation.png

The avilable settings are:

Frame Sampling: Frames are duplicated on an even interval to fill up the frame difference. Tends to be the safest setting with only slight frame jitter introduced.

Frame Blending: Frames are time-stretched out and faded together. Movement may be smoother but at higher frame rate conversions can look fuzzy.

Optical Flow: Creates new frames in a process similar to Photoshop's Content Aware tools, where tween-frames are generated. Works best for slow-motion or other footage where there's less change frame-to-frame. Can badly morph footage that has quick movement, and is more render intensive. If you're interested, check out https://theblog.adobe.com/optical-flow-time-remapping-tips-tricks-for-best-results/

I'd recommend trying samples with different settings to see what works best for individual cases, but I usually stick with the default Frame Sampling because the visual difference, as you've found, is minor and less distracting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for this in-depth response!

Interesting read. So the Frame Sampling setting is actually the same method as the 3:2 pulldown method? Very clever!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines