Media Encoder CC2019 Issues: Crops not saving, Missing Existing Files, HAP

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a ton of issues with Media Encoder CC2019.

1) Frequently my work involves creating content for projection across multiple screens in a live event. The general workflow I do is to develop and design one large comp in after effects, then via media encoder crop my export to render out videos for each individual screen.  While I recognize that I could create cropped precomps in AE and export those individually, in tests on my end, parallel encoding (think I'm using that correctly) seemed to render significantly faster by running my large comp through media encoder and cropping there.  However, in Media Encoder CC2019 I can't get media encoder to save my crop presets.  It seems that wherever I place my crop window as soon as I hit save it changes the box size dramatically.  I'll have it all set, then I hit save as preset and all of a sudden what was a, say, 2:3 aspect ratio is now a 4:1. I tried all sorts of variations on multiple machines (though both windows 10) and about 95% of the time it would change and reposition my crops when I hit save.  I lost hours troubleshooting, only to ultimately have to go back to the precomp methodology in AE and exporting each video individually.

2)  Media encoder for whatever wouldn't recognize one of my files in my comp.  Inexplicably, one specific video in the comp would render out with the missing files test pattern.  What's strange about this, is that the video is recognized and not missing within the after effects comp itself.  I tried to render this off of multiple machines (though both windows 10) and each had the same issue.  Ultimately, we exported directly via AE rather than through media encoder and by doing it this way, the video was recognized.  So that says to me that there's an issue specific in media encoder that was creating this problem.

3) Since the removal of HAP support, I've tried a bunch of solutions, which again has eaten hours of my time.  Disguise has put out a HAP plug-in for Adobe that I've found seems to work ok. With exporting my AE projects direct to Media Encoder, I can render via HAP without issue.  However, when I exported directly out of premiere or out of media encoder via premiere it failed giving me an error message saying something about frame order issue caused by the plug-in.  Just a heads up for those of you out there who are trying to go down this road.

Thanks

Ryan

Views

613

Likes

translate

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One minor update to note #2.  It looks like that issue was caused by a file sent to me by a client.  It was an .mp4 file and I noticed while it played in VLC and MPC ok, i was getting an "invalid sample description" from quicktime though when I tried to open it up there.  The file was large (8912, x 1088) so it could be that something about how they encoded it on their end due to the resolution caused the issue.   You can check out the apple community discussion on that issue here, though in quick read-through I didn't see a solution. (error -2041: an invalid sample descriptio… - Apple Community).

My suspicion is that AE was playing the video back fine because its player maybe doesn't rely on quicktime which is why the file played fine there. I tried encoding to HAP and Quicktime Animation via encoder and it was in both of those that I got issues.  I initially thought maybe that was because those were both .movs but interestingly I ultimately solved the problem, by rendering direct out of AE to Quicktime Animation.  So that says to me that maybe encoder was using quicktime in a way that AE is not that was causing the issue.  Anyhow, that's my update and my notes from testing things out.

Likes

translate

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I got the same problems with the cropping tool inside ME. All of my encoding presets with different crops won't work at all. It forgets the "right" and the "lower" pixelvalues and sets them back to 0. Even creating new presets won't work as it sets the values to 0 everytime you open the presetsettings.

But what I figured out is, that if you type in the correct values again, hit save and then hit render straight away (do not open the settings again!!!) it will render with the correct crop. Unfortunately this makes it very timeconsuming setting the cropvalues manually for every file when doing a lot of batch rendering. Therefore my company switched back to CC2018 again. Hope this gonna be fixed soon.ME crop bug.png

Likes

translate

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines