Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder crashes computer

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Every time I try to use Media Encoder for exporting longer sequences my computer crashes. I did a full install of my operating system and Adobe products but that did not fix my problems. I create a program that is 30 minutes in length. The only remedy is to export the sequence in 3 separate 10 minute chunks and then re-export the entire 30 minute program. I have a second computer that is having the same problem. I tried exporting directly from Premiere Pro and sending the file to Media Encoder to export.

What needs to be done for the exporting to not crash the computer?

Before this 2017 update I had problems of Premiere Pro crashing during rendering of the 30 minute sequence. I also had export problems of random audio glitches in the output that were not in the timeline. It was ghost audio of extra parts of the video in random places. There seems to be a lot of exporting issues in the past months.

Thanks,

Jason

Sequence settings:

1920 x 1080

No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Audio 48000 Hz

Quicktime

Apple ProRes 422 (LT)

Premiere Pro V 2017.0.1

Media Encoder V 2017.0

Specs for the first computer. The second is similar.

macOS Sierra V 10.12.2

Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is in windows and is consistent.

This machine hasn't crashed more than 4 or 5 times in 3 years but it consistently crashes trying to encode 4K video.

The machine locks up completely with a BSOD.  The error blablahexcode101 and "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval".

Today the machine has crashed at least 8 times trying to encode various 4K video.

I tried disabling accelerated intel h.264 encoding with no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one video that is 4K on the 1920 x 1080 timeline to use for zooming in & out. Otherwise everything is HD, still images, and motion graphics created in Premiere Pro or After Effects.

This is a very random intermittent problem. More often the computer crashes.

I have no power saving settings on while working. The day is too busy for the computer to sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't put a lot of time into this yet but I processed a queue of a couple gigs successfully after disabling all power saving.  No monitor/drive/etc sleep.  I'll update more as I encode more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having consistent computer crashes when exporting from sequences in PP and also when exporting fully encoded files from Media Encoder.  I've been round and round with Adobe "Support" and finally using a very inadequate method we got one specific type of file to export to the desktop (Go Pro codec) successfully. 

If I bring this Go-Pro codec file back into Media Encoder and try to export it as a Vimeo 720p file (or any other type of file I have tried), it crashed the computer.  I never had these issues until the end of 2016 and up until that time had used numerous codecs from the long list in Media Encoder successfully.  

I can export from my sequence using the Vimeo 720p codec if I do 3 separate exports from my timeline in small chunks.  The video I am trying to export is only 3:30 but the fact that I can do it in smaller pieces but not one continuous clip makes me think this is not an issue related to corrupt media.

So far Adobe's answer is to only use the Go-Pro codec, use Mercury Playback Software only for render and do everything to the desktop.  For this short project that might work but I need to be able to render to my large external drives as my desktop will not hold very large files.

And the fact that the Go-Pro file that I exported cannot be turned into a smaller, easier to send file without crashing the computer makes me think the problem is not related to the mixture of file types I am using in my sequence and is a problem with the new version of Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are few things to try.

- If you haven't, please try the latest version of Premiere Pro and Media Encoder (both in version 2017.0.2).

- Please make sure your graphic card's driver is up-to-date.

- You may need to clear media cache.  From Media Encoder's preferences > Media, pease take a note of the locations of "Media Cache Files" and "Media Cache Database" indicated there.  Once you quit all Adobe applications, please go to the location and delete folders called "Media Cache Files", "Media Cache" and "Peak Files".

- Computer crash may be due to graphics card if this problem is solved once switched to the Software only mode.  For our reference, could you tell me your graphics card model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

I have been using the latest versions of PP and Media Encoder.

The software only mode did not solve the problem. I was still getting

crashes in that mode.

Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB

I deleted those folders and attempted an export from a project that I have

successfully exported from before. Using the Mercury Playback Engine GPU

setting, I crashed. Using the software only setting I crashed as well. I

was attempting to export using the preset for Vimeo 720p that comes in

Media Encoder.

I updated the drivers for my video card and attempted exporting from the

same project using hardware and then software and got crashes using both

methods.

I am able to edit, scrub video and function just fine in PP. I am only

getting crashes when I try to export using Media Encoder.

Please let me know if you would like to arrange to take control remotely to

try to diagnose this problem.

Thanks

-Kenny Fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenny,

I just sent you a private message, requesting some sample files if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
Makoto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helped, thnx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Media Encoder crashes entire Macbook Pro (late 2016).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After many hours on the line with Adobe tech support, they are saying that this issue is due to my power supply having a problem.  This conclusion was reached after monitoring the memory activity and seeing that when the cores were working at 75% or higher, the crashes occurred.  When we did an export that did not require heavy compression (exporting uncompressed files) we did not see the crash.  Since the power supply is not an easy thing to replace on a G5 tower I have not replaced it so I cannot say if this is the problem or not.  Right now the projects I am working on are short form so I can export uncompressed and then use other programs like QT Pro to compress the files so I can post on the web.  Not a great solution but at least I can get my work out.  And by the way, Premiere and every other program on the system seem to be working fine without crashes.  I'm not fully convinced that the power supply is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem. Using latest versions of Adobe Suite CC, Media Encoder will complete an export, but afterward the program will not close, even using Force Quit on a mid-2011 27" iMac. It also freezes the computer so it cannot be shut down and must be hard-rebooted. I have uninstalled and re-installed Media Encoder twice using the Adobe CC manager, and it does not help the issue. This is clearly a BUG in the most recent release of CC, if so many people are having the same issue on different systems. I know Adobe engineering is understaffed, but this is going to cost them if they don't act to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution because I am skeptical that a power supply would cause this problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked the "maximize render quality" button, or whatever it is, "use maximum quality", and I was able to get the project to finalize. I can't do a full-res .mov however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am having the exact same problem. however. I am searching for a solution and might be a little further than you.
My pc crases EVERY single time i try to record a video that encodes it at the same time. When i dont compress (encode) it. It has no problems whatshowever. When i then try to encode (compress) the video with the common (and any other) h.264 (MP4) it crashes my pc again.

In short. The crashing probably has nothing to do with ur premire or settings inside it but just generally encoding a video.
Ive ran a cpu stress test aswell but it is perfectly fine.
When i try to record with MSI afterburner it does fine but it gives me horrible FPS due to it encoding with the GPU instead of CPU

I hope this gets you a little further. once i find a solution il post it here as fast as i can.

~ Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2021 My specs:

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3850 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Product B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B86)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 32.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 25.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 28.2 GB

IRQ 4294967254 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

No earthly reason why this PC should crash when rendering, may be a little light on cores but definitely has enough RAM and the GPU should be more than capable. Didn't have the crashing problems before upgraing my GPU (formerly a GTX970) which is interesting, and it was pretty quick too.

Been looking for answers and your contribution strikes me as the most relevant. Will mess with encoding to see if it helps. wasn't sure how to run a stress test for encoding specifically so this is helpful.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem still continues and really has not been awswered or solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg same but im rendering an edit (25 s 😞

- h.264

- Mobile Device 720p HD

and each time i try to render my computer crashes so pls i need help omg im so angry bc of this  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and once I exported the file to Media Encoder, I quit Premiere and now it seems to be working. I'm rendering on CUDA.

Does anyone know if the available RAM is something that is being used while rendering (and therefore could be something with the crash to do)? Since I have 8GB dedicated for Media as well as Premiere. And some other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here - two years since the OP

Attempting to render 4k ProRes rushes to H264, constant crashes - and even stranger, the files marked as complete do not appear in the destination folder.

AME version 13.0.2, iMac Pro with 64gb RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16gb VRAM

Not sure if it's time to start a new thread on this rather than add similar issues many build and OS versions later, but thought I'd try in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem and have tried everything that I can think of. Aggravating and costing $$$$.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright so here is my add to this forum. I too am having a crash report from both Media Encoder and Premiere every time I export. I have triple checked my file names for abnormalities, I have brought the resolution down to fhd, I have checked into my NiVidea(sp) GTX 1060, I have tried every check box and it seems to me it has to do with the engagement or initiation of the graphics card. This is aggravating beyond belief! Please someone smarter than me help us out! The other curious part is that 2 days ago it worked fine on the same file???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, exporting clips less than 5 minutes. I have only noticed this in the last few months. I am exporting 1920X1080 H264, compressed to 6MB.

It is worth noting that my CPU usage is PINNED. 99%+. Is there a setting to limit that, even if it means slower exports?

i7 4790K
32 GB RAM
Win 7 Pro SP1
PP 12.1

ME 12.1.2 (Build 69)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the resolution to this problem (at least for me). I have Intel/AMD switchable graphics which under load, will switch from intel to AMD. During this switch AMD was causing the program to switch and my computer to shutdown. I disabled AMDs display driver in Device Manager so only Intel would run and now Media Encoder has no issues running. I would suggest if you run SLI or Crossfire or some other tandem or switchable graphics that you force it to only use one main core(s). Adobe should really fix this as it's been an issue for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have a problem with media encoder 2019 that I've been using it for the past 3 or 4 months. It was working perfectly until 2 days ago when I finished an edit and expot it from ae to media encoder and when I was about to change the settings for better quality it crashed my whole system for no reason ( to be honest when I was editing the project ae crashed 2 times and it was lagging a little bit but I didnt pay much attention to that even if it didn't seem normal because it wasnt heavy at all) I turned off and back on my computer at least 3 times. I found a video on YouTube that some guy had the same problem like me and he recommended to try and see if I could render an other project to see if the project was causing the problem (because the project was causing that problem to him)...  So I tried to render an old project that media encoder had rendered before perfectly but same thing happened. I also tried to render it from ae it self so I can export it to media encoder or at least to Sony Vegas Pro but the again it didn't work. When I tried the same thing yesterday ae wasn't lagging as much as it was lagging the day before ( I also deleted some effects ). So I tried again this time it let me change the settings and it started rendering it but after 7 seconds it did it again..so then I thought it could have been the settings so then I tried to render it without changing anything but again same thing..and again I tried doing it 3 or 4 times but it didn't work. This has never happened to me before( just for you to know I am an Instagram editor which edits TV shows and movies so keep in mind that I am not using heavy files also sorry for my bad English hope you understand what I mean) please help guys I really have no idea what to do and I really need to get back at posting edits..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines