Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder crashes when rendering H.264 format Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
I have a recurring issue of ME crashing when rendering anything in the H.264 format.
This has happened to my on both my old PC and my new one, so isn't an issue with the hardware.
For info, I am running Windows 10 64 bit with an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64 Gigs of Ram at 3600 MHz and a RTX 2070 super.
I currently have all the latest updates.
This issue doesn't always happen, sometimes it happens to certain projects multiple times and some projects, never. No idea what causes it, but it whenever it happens, the system dies with a Blue Screen. This happens for me even with the inbuilt H.264 presets.
I see tonnes of similar threads in the Premier Pro and After Effects forums, but I am posting it here because I believe the issue lies with Media Encorder.

Title edited by Mod

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Export or render

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that. I understand everytime you try to export a project in H.264 format, it crashes.

• Which version of AME are you using?
  • Have you tested the issue with any other format? Do you get any error?
  • Have you tried the export from Premiere Pro? Does it work?
  • As you mentioned, Blue screen error usually happens because of the graphics card. Have you checked if your graphics card drivers updated to the latest version as mentioned on the AMD's website?

Looking forward to the response.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently using AME2020 version 14.0 build 556. I will also add on my old PC, this issue occured on Media Encoder 2018 also, and from the look of previous forums, has been around since at least 2016 for a lot of people.
The problem hasn't occured with any other formats to my knowledge, but I have used them a fraction in comparison so hard to be fair that one from me.
It's actually After Effects I am using. I've tried exporting directly from there, but the quality seems to drop and it's a far slower process than using AME. I've also tried prerendering background layers one by one and replacing the animations with videos to reducer the intensity of the render and have still encountered this issue.
GPU drivers are up to date on both PC Systems. 

Additional points I feel are worth noting - This happens far more frequently with projects that contain expressions as opposed to projects with keyframes.
When it happens, it's dumps around 30 gigs of corrupted data into my Local Temp folder some of which can't be deleted.
I feel like even though I have CUDA Acceleration enabled, it does nothing. When rendering, my GPU struggles to hit 5% load and my Ram takes the brunt of the workload, soaking up around 40 of my 64 gigs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information. Could you share details about the GPU that you are using? 

Also, we're interested to know if the export gets affected only with some specific format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it doesn't happen everytime. But if it happens to a prject once, I know that project will do it again and again and again... All I really know is that it's something very specific that triggers it because half of my projects at least never encounter this issue, but then I have one project here that's failed to render over 30 times and still won't render without causing a bluescreen.

I can only guess as I am not knowledgable on coding or programming etc. But I personally feel like the issue lies with Media Encoder since it's not unique to just After Effects or Premier Pro. 
For all I know it could be a simple mistake in the set-up of the program, but uninstalling and reinstalling has never helped the issue in the past. 

I can say that it has happened to me, in the last 2 years, around 100 ttimes now and between all of them, the biggest things between them all that are similar is more expressions than usual and it happens most frequently on complex animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello?!?! Can I PLEASEa get some damn help with this or I will cancel my account, right now!!!!
This is NOT WORTH PAYING $50 A MONTH FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're sorry for the delay in response. We'll make sure this issue gets addressed on priority and hopefully this will make this experience better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to straight up apologise for my outburst but I have been seeking help with this for almost 2 years now and nobody seems to bring anything that makes any sense to the table.
I've when through hundreds of forums and on at least 30 different occasions, spent hours on live chat being asked ridiculous questions like "are you windows or mac" straight after claiming it gives me the Blue Screen lol.

My GPU is the GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super  OC Edition
CPU - AMD 3900X
RAM - 64 Gb of G.Skill Trident Neo 3600 MHz
Window 10 64 bit

This issue also happened on my old PC which had:
GPU - MSI 970 4G
CPU - AMD 8350 Vishera Black
Ram - 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHz
Windows 7 64 bit

My gut is telling me the issue is either related to Codec issues or that Media Encoder is somehow causing Windows to malfunction, ending in a blue screen.
The issue has only ever happened to me with H.264 format, but I very rarely use the rest so I can't fairly state if it unique to that format. I will set up a render that I know to cause me issues and will try another format and report back.

I appreciate this help a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a Media Encoder QE and I'd like to help.

Blue Screen of Death almost always happens due to driver issues. Adobe Software uses those drivers, but sometimes the drivers aren't perfect even if it's the latest.

For NVIDIA, for example, there are usually standard drivers, gaming drivers, and new feature drivers. If one does not work, I recommend trying a different kind. Can you disable GPU acceleration is see if the crash still happens? 

BSOD can also happen due to bad RAM. Maybe try to take out a couple of sticks to see if that fixes anything? Unlikely to be the problem for a new machine, but since your RAM utilization is so high, it would be good to test.

Also, what is your Windows 10 build number? Are you on 1909 yet?

About your GPU utilizatiuon: you have an awesome Video Card, but GPU Acceleration is only used for certain effects, deintarlacing, scaling, and some other things that will not push your utilizatiuon too high unless you are working with 8k VR for example.

If you are able to send me a reduced project that reproduces the issue for you, I'll be happy to try it on a number of different machine configurations. If not, try to provide more details about the project. Does it usually crash around the same time? Are you using any 3rd party plugins in your project? Any info helps.

Thanks

- Dmitri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if you have already tried this or if your issue was resolved. But, what worked for me was in media encoder going to Edit> Preferences> General> Video rendering > Change from gpu acceleration to engine software only. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaah, this worked! This issue was driving me crazy. thank you so much for sharing:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this ever been resolved? I am having these exact same issues rendering using AME for my Ae projects, and no idea why some just crash over and over. The PC doesnt crash though, just the Render - without even stating it has crashed - it comes to a halt, and even if i leave it overnight it wont resume, it seems as if the Ae is the thing that crashes in the background - I tried figuring this out and asking other professionals and reading so many forums - but NO LUCK. I cannot fnd the solution. Even any workaround I do is not helping. I do not have the technical know how to resolve.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem
h264 and prores files
in after effects everything worked fine, but when i want to export the media encoder crashes with blue screen all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an incompatibility between Adobe Media Encoder and the newer Nvidia RTX boards. Not sure when Adobe will fix it though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem,
i'm using :
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
24 RAM DDR4
1TB MSI M390
GTX 1050ti (and yes i knew it's old GPU and weak for editing in 2022 etc..) 

the only method that worked for me is by installing older version of Nvidia graphic driver, that mean that i'm stuck with the version 512.96 Nvidia graphic.
I'm also forced to use the old 2021ċ̴͕͉̩r̸̬̝̩̭̉͗͆͝a̶̡̲̗͇̻͊́ć̴̨̧̫͎̹͚̻̭̂̆̑̍̾́̈̇͘k̸̥̣͈͕̭͚̘̆́̐̽̾ë̵̡̩̼͚͙̬͉́̀̍̅̍͛͝ͅd̵͎͚̱͒̑̌́̓̀̚͝ͅ version adobe software because if i keep with the new updates the GPU acceleration on adobe after effects and premiere are not gonna to work with the old nvidia driver.

---------------------------------------------------
the summary of this
- if you have an old hardware just upgrade and update your drivers and your adobe software.
or
- check if the problem is from the hardware(mostly the RAM and the Graphic card)
- check your bios setting (if you using over clock just close it)
-------------------------------------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20220801_174955.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add this:
search the name of the error on the net, for me is "video_memory_management_internal"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem: BSOD crashes on certain projects from After Effects, but not others. The error is VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL. I would also add that the render times on certain projects is massive. I have records of a render from May 2022 taking two minutes, and the same render is currently taking two hours.

I'm running Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB 3000mhz, and it's happened on both Windows 10 and Windows 11. I had professionals look at my computer and there's no hardware issues. Reinstalling or rolling back GPU drivers and Media Encoder and AE versions did nothing.

This has crippled my ability to animate and is affecting my freelance work. I hope something helpful comes up soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any chance I could get a response here? Things I've tried:

• Reinstalling GPU driver
  • Rolling back GPU driver
  • Reinstalling AE and ME
  • Rolling back AE and ME
  • Replacing GPU (tried out a 3700 ti)
  • Testing RAM one at a time
  • Clean install of Windows 11
  • Disable Boosts in Bios
  • Update Asus Chipset Drivers
  • Turning on performance mode in Nvidia 3D settings
  • Turning off GPU hardware acceleration in Windows
  • Updating BIOS
  • Running scans on all hardware, both myself and by professionals

I should also mention that in addition to the BSOD, I'm experiencing slowed renders. In one specific project, I have records showing that it used to take around 3min to render, and now takes 40-80min to render.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines