• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old laptop fine, New laptop-AME slower than toast

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 3-year-old Old laptop takes 31 minutes to render and encode a 2.6 GB file, using Adobe Media Encoder (AME).

My month-old New laptop takes 22 hours to do the same file (haven't let it continue past an hour or so).

Both computers used the same project file and the same source file (synced with Google Drive).

Changes that made NO difference:

• Made new project on New computer.
  • Manually copied the source file to New.
  • Removed/reset all preference/plugins on New.
  • Deleted Premiere and AME from New, deleting all preferences/presets, then used the Adobe Clean Tool to wipe Adobe off HD
  • Reinstalled, make new project, copy source file to New, import source file into new project.
  • Export Media from Premiere to AME Queue
  • Opened AME first, then Premiere, and then drug sequence icon from Premiere to AME Queue panel.
  • Watched numerous YouTube clips about how to configure and speed up AME; none helped, still 22 hours
  • Spent hour with Nvidia support by chat, made several changes, no help; they asked for systeminfo file and will escalate to Tier 2 and email me later

Behavior of New: in queue panel, Elapsed time counter starts rolling smoothly, but at :15 sec, the preview shows and the counter stops, after a few sections it jumps to 30, moves to 31, 32, and stops, few seconds later, jumps to :45 and moves to :46, :47, and so on. After 1:45 Elapsed time, Remaining time count showing 22:07:15.

Old laptop, i7 2.3 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K1100M (newest driver 419.67), 1TB SSD

New laptop, i9 2.9 GHz, 32GB RAM (28.5 GB for Adobe), Nvidia Quadro 3200 (newest driver 419.67),

C: 512GB M.2 NVme PCle Class 40 SSD for programs/apps, D: 1TB M.2 NVme PCle Class 40 SSD for source/output files

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Solved for me!

It was the 8 second, 3-year-old .mp4 clip created in AE. Opened the newest version of AE, found the old AE project, opened it, it asked if I wanted to update the project, I say yes, Re-render the output and new 8 sec file put in current PP and AME works as flawlessly as it used to. Problem solved!

And... why would an old .mp4 file create a problem in the newest AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess:

Try allowing more RAM for the OS and less for Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob! ... but no change.

When first installed the Adobe default was 5GB for other programs, leaving 26.8 for Adobe products.

Based on YouTube video, I tried 3GB for other and 28.8 for Adobe.

Using your suggestion, I changed it to 8GB for other, leaving 23.8 for Adobe.

I like the idea, but there was no change, Remaining time in AME queue is still 22:07:15.

Other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose one itch that I keep not being able to scratch, is why is my old laptop that updated to Premiere (cc 2019) 3.1 work as normal, and my new laptop is as slow as a dog? The Adobe software version is the same on both. Both are rendering the same file.
31 minutes vs. 22 hours??? If only I knew which box to check, what setting to change,  to fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like this moved to the Hardware forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot of Export Settings please, we have no idea what you are even working on/with for settings.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAFEHARBOR11,

Here you go. Attaching two shots. One showing Export Settings, second showing AME queue which shows Preset and Hardware using CUDA. Other than choosing the Format and the Preset, I can't think of anything I've changed from the default install.

TigerTouch NewComp ExportSetting.jpgTigerTouch NewComp AME Queue.jpg

The old laptop's Export Settings are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you uncheck the Hardware Encoding box? Using older Premiere myself and have not messed with that feature.

Also, probably not an issue these days, but years ago very long filenames could be problematic in Premiere so I've always maintained the habit of keeping them shorter when possible. In your example, long name is cutting off some info I expected to see like format of source. Rather than "NO After Effects In This One", perhaps the shorthand "NO AE" would serve the same purpose.

Also, what format is the source video you are converting from? Nothing like Warp Stabilizer, Video DeNoise, Unsharp Mask effects applied? Any of those will exponentially increase render times.

Thanks

Jeff

PS - looks like exporting to "MyDocuments". Maybe better off to create your own folders that aren't a dozen levels deep, makes it much easier to find files later on. Also, I know you have SSDs, but just for kicks try exporting to a drive other than where the source files are located. In some situations, that can eliminate bottlenecks in processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if I'm thinking of the same place as you are, the Hardware Encoding isn't a checkbox but a drop-down menu. Your two choices are Hardware Encoding or Software Encoding. Over on the AME side, there is a drop-down menu for the for rendering you have three choices: 1) Windows - CUDA if you have a Nvidia card, 2) Windows - OpenCL if you don't have a Nvidia card, or 3) METAL if you have a Mac. I have consistently used CUDA since I have Windows 10 and have Nvidia cards in both the old and the new laptop. In my experiments before posting I did try CUDA, OpenCL, and Software Only, but all of them were 22-24 hours Remaining time.

For the next set of experiments I did change the source/output file names to just "No AE 3-27". I created a new folder at the root of D: and another new folder at the root of C:. Using this setup made no differences in the render time, either Test D or Test C. By the way, I moved the document folder to point at a new folder on my D: drive, so it wasn't really where Windows defaults it to on the C: drive.

Oh, btw, I did read where someone fixed these problems by backing off AME a version. I started at 3.1 and backed it up to 13.02 and reboot try again, then 13.01, then 13.0, then 12.1.2. They all performed the same for me at 22-24 hours Remaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, oh yeah, you also asked, "Also, what format is the source video you are converting from? Nothing like Warp Stabilizer, Video DeNoise, Unsharp Mask effects applied? Any of those will exponentially increase render times."

This video is one .mp4 clip, 2.6 GB in size, 30-some minutes recorded, no effects at all, just import the file into Premiere project, drop the mp4 file into a sequence, and Export Media. No editing at all; nothing changed while in Premiere. Trying to make things simple for trouble shooting..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the source of the .mp4 - wouldn't happen to be Variable Frame Rate would it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it probably is VFR. I could always run it through HandBrake first to change it to fixed. But of course if you take 30 minutes to run HandBrake, then 32 minutes through AME, then you've doubled your time. The intent of new high-level hardware would be to cut the 30 minutes by 40 or 50%. OK, OK, i'd take 30% or 20%, but doubling the time doesn't work.

And then again, wonder why that's not a problem on the old laptop. And is there a connection to the update, or is that just random coincidence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But an extra few minutes - if that does resolve the issue - not better than 22 HOURS?

You still haven't stated where the recording comes from - camera, screen cap software? Hard to help people when they play their cards so close to the vest, not sure what the big secret is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your question about an extra few minutes is asking about turning Hardware Encoding off? I responded to that earlier by saying, “But turning it on or off had no effect on Remaining time of rendering, still 22 hours.” That means that I took your suggestion, ran a rendering, and that the Remaining time stayed at 22 hours. If I’m misunderstanding you, what few minutes are you talking about?

It’s strange being accused of playing “cards so close to the vest” and “not sure what the big secret is”. I’ve answered every question you’ve asked, and dumped a ton of information into this discussion in response to your questions. I’ve not refused to answer any question you’ve asked. I have run the rendering over and over trying different suggested scenarios, and reported the results back in this thread. There are no cards being held and no secrets from my end. If I don’t understand your question properly, or don’t give you the answer you are looking for, rather than being snippy, just ask your question again in another way, and I’ll be glad to answer it.

The recordings come from a customer who has two fixed wall-mounted cameras (I don’t know what vendor or model) in an auditorium. They give me their .mp4 file and I edit it for them. I understand that they use ATEM to switch between cameras, and use Black Magic to record their video. I did say that the the result is using variable frame rate.

Whatever they use to create the file, the result is the same file that is used on both the old and the new laptop where the old laptop renders the file in 32 minutes and the new in 22 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry bad day.

Meant if the situation requires that you pre-process in Handbrake and that takes a few minutes, that is much better than 22 hours, yes? Of course that is not an optimal solution, perhaps there is an Adobe bug that needs addressing, but just for now you do what you gotta do to get the job done.

When posting, the more info you can share right up front in the first post, the better. You provided great detail of your system and steps taken, but nothing of WHAT you were editing and that is often critical to finding a solution. Exporting "a file" doesn't give us a lot to work with.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, we all have bad days.

I think we’ve pretty much chewed the flavor out of this gum. I appreciate all of the suggestions from everyone!

At this point my leading theory is that there is something different about the two Nvidia cards, and maybe the way that AME interacts with them. Bug by Nvidia? Maybe. Bug by AME that plays off of some difference in the two Nvidia cards. Maybe.

Right now, I hoping for the next update to fix it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Research Complete.

Hardware Encoding:

Requires Intel CPU w/QuickSync (Sandy Bridge or newer Intel CPUs)..Xeon CPUs will not support this acceleration.

From Intel's info on my CPU, which is i9-8950HK:

Quick Sync (hardware acceleration of video encoding and decoding for Intel CPUs. Speeds up video encoding by times, but at the cost of somewhat lower quality).

Short-term conclusion:

Sure looks like it is intended to speed things up, not change 32 minutes into 22 hours. But turning it on or off had no effect on Remaining time of rendering, still 22 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. If I knew that this was only a hardware problem, I would think differently.

However, this forum is showing several others having the same issue timed to after the latest update. So it looks like a software issue, not hardware. At this point, I only see one data point (my old laptop) that is different. Sure, there can be a hardware component, such as maybe the new update doesn't take kindly to something about Nvidia cards, but at this point, who knows?

So, no, I'd rather see this stay in the AME software forum for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who is having the same issue with AME 13.1, I can't imagine it is a hardware capacity issue. I've had the same degredation with the same hardware.

Question for TigerTouches which may help Adobe, on your new laptop what is your CPU utilization during rendering? One thing I note is that my cores are almost idle during rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phlegm,

Here are three screen shots about the CPU while it's AME is rendering:

Task Manager showing low CPU usage while AME is rendering:

Task Manager - Low CPU Usage.jpg

Resource Monitor showing each of the 6 cores (alsmost all 12 threads) having low usage while AME is rendering:

Resource Monitor - 6 cores, 12 threads.jpg

Queue in AME showing Remaining 21:41:41 for this 2.6 GB file with one sequence and no AE in it:

Queue Showing 21 hours.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved for me!

It was the 8 second, 3-year-old .mp4 clip created in AE. Opened the newest version of AE, found the old AE project, opened it, it asked if I wanted to update the project, I say yes, Re-render the output and new 8 sec file put in current PP and AME works as flawlessly as it used to. Problem solved!

And... why would an old .mp4 file create a problem in the newest AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines