Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prores to Prores bit depth

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For reasons, listed below but not needed to answer the question, I have to export a ProRes 422 1080i 29.97 file to exactly the same specs in media encoder. Does the 8 bpc vs 16 bpc vs render at maximum bit depth have any effect on the image?

We combine our audio mix and Graded master in FCP 7 and export reference quicktimes to episode engine.  The files coming out of Resolve 12.5, even though they match our sequence settings and our export settings, are being re-encoded.  This cause our export time and file size to match a self-contained export.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My understanding of the 16-bit and Max Bit Depth settings is that some of the effects in Premiere use 16-bit, and therefore if you enable the Max Bit Depth rendering at export, you would get the full benefit of those 16-bit effects in improved color fidelity. For myself, editing with formats that are only 8-bit anyway, I don't bother. Higher bit-depth formats like ProRes at 10-bit would benefit more.

That said, I don't believe you are rendering any color effects from Premiere - you are simply "transcoding" the existing ProRes file to a new ProRes file. Is that right? If so, then I don't think it's going to make any difference in that case. But I'm not betting any money on this. I am happy to be corrected if someone knows better!

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines