• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAM not getting higher than 20% usage

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC is 64GB RAM, i7 processor and MSI Computer Video Graphics Card GTX 980TI GAMING 6G

When I'm rendering out of encoder I can't get more than 11.8GB of Memory usage (even when nothing else is running and I have 60 GB dedicated to it) Additionally when playing back some 4k footage in premiere, it gets very laggy to the point I really can't edit. I just ran a system optimizer and all that good stuff. Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

I think there are two separate problems here.

If I'm not mistaken, what mainly drives the RAM usage in Adobe Media Encoder would be the pixel dimensions of the frames being processed. I think it's unlikely that it would get anywhere close to needing 60GB of RAM using a typical 4K project.

The lagging with 4K is probably a separate issue that may be due to the combination of CPU, storage speed, and graphics hardware. The i7 CPU seems OK, and there is more than enough RAM.

The hard drive is a suspect

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The complete data specs for CPU and drives would be of help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one hard drive?

That may be why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are two separate problems here.

If I'm not mistaken, what mainly drives the RAM usage in Adobe Media Encoder would be the pixel dimensions of the frames being processed. I think it's unlikely that it would get anywhere close to needing 60GB of RAM using a typical 4K project.

The lagging with 4K is probably a separate issue that may be due to the combination of CPU, storage speed, and graphics hardware. The i7 CPU seems OK, and there is more than enough RAM.

The hard drive is a suspect; although it's a good model, it may not be able to play 4K frames fast enough on a video timeline if the system and Premiere Pro are simultaneously making requests of it. Especially for 4K, it would be better to store the OS, the footage, and the Adobe media cache each on a separate drive so they can be accessed in parallel, and it would help a lot more if at least one of those drives was an SSD, which is many times faster than a hard drive.

In short, a single hard drive is not ideal for 4K editing.

What graphics hardware is in the computer? A card, or integrated graphics? 4K editing is smoother when the graphics hardware is supported for Mercury Playback Engine acceleration in Premiere Pro.

Even then, on a lot of systems, smooth 4K editing is only practical using a proxy workflow. My computer is older, so the only way I can quickly edit 4K is to use Premiere proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to know. I did update opencl from intel and nvidia, SSD makes sense. Very nice, thank you. Any recommendations on SSDs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this isn't an endorsement and there are more choices, the SSDs by Samsung and Crucial are widely used. Both companies just came out with new models of their most popular lines. Crucial recently shipped the MX500, Samsung just announced the 860 EVO. Both offer SSD capacities at and above 1TB.

I hope R Neil Haugen​​ can confirm this, but I'm under the impression that if you only have one drive and it's an SSD, because of its sheer speed you may not need multiple drives. But if you add an SSD to a system with a hard drive as the boot drive, I think it's most important to place the Adobe Media Cache (in Premiere Pro preferences) and the Scratch Disks (in Project Settings) on the SSD. And if the SSD must be external, like a Samsung T5, to get maximum speed it must be connected through a port no slower than USB 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, you've got covered mostly what Bill Gherke's testing through his PPBM8 testing site http://ppbm8.com/index.html

has found. With his laptop recommendations, if you only have two drives, I think he's leaving the cache files on the OS SSD, and running project & media on the outboard SSD using a Samsung T5, as those T-series USB3/.1 drives are giving sustained speeds well above about anything else out there over that port.

VASTLY speeds up the playback & exporting process.

My desktop is currently sporting Samsung m.2 and Evo drives for OS and cache drives, several other Samsung EVO or Crucial SSD's for project files & media, and a couple massive ol' spinners for storage & other stuff.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines