• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rendering project for DVD

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project uses material shot with a JVC GY-HM750 as a.MOV wrapper in Sony XDCAM-EX at 1080 interlaced and at 29.97 frames per second Drop Frame.

My project settings are 1080i, upper field first. When I use Encore to create DVDs, they apope4ar somewhat pixelated, as though at half resolution when watched on any screen. Am I doing something wrong in the encoding process. Does anyone4 else have this workflow and if so, what Media Encoder settings do you use?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mpeg 2 - DVD.

Keep in mind that DVDs are 1/4 the resolution of HD.

Why not make Blu-Ray?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response and yes, I'm aware of the difference in resolution between HD and SD, but with regard to your question as to why I don't just make Blu-Rays, it's because that's not what the customer wants. They asked for DVDs and not Blu-Rays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people will watch the DVDs on HDTVs. The player should provide upscaling, so the ultimate test is playing the DVD back on a player hooked to a TV. But yes it is still just DVD resolution.

When viewing on a computer, be sure it is not set to enlarge to HD size. For example in VLC player, be sure it is not set to match the window size.

As Peru Bob says, export from media encoder using mpeg2-DVD, as this generally provides better results than letting Encore do the encoding. It should show in Encore as "do not transcode."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this - export from Premiere as MPEG-2 DVD, and use the NTSC DV Widescreen preset, but then manually change the field order to Upper. The 1080i source video uses Upper Field, while the default DVD encode uses Lower Field, and that field-flipping can degrade the image. Try Upper and see if that looks better for you.

And be sure to set bitrate according to video duration - if exported file is too large for the DVD, then Encore will be transcoding (recompressing) the video again!

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's exactly what I ended up doing and that was it!

Thanks for the response,

David

David Medzorian

Daval Video Productions

In My Life Films

The Boston Voice: Voiceovers by David Medzorian

781-646-5100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DavidMedzorian  wrote

they appear somewhat pixelated, as though at half resolution when watched on any screen.

If they look as if they were half resolution, you're in good shape as DVDs are 720x480 which is ​less​ than half resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines