• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate video 90 degrees in Media Encoder?

Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a vertical video at 1080x1920 that I need rotated 90° counterclockwise on export, is this possible though Media encoder? Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Hi Dustin,

That's a feature request: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not rotate it before it goes to AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video is vertically oriented so when I export versions for previewing I have to export them 1080x1920 so the client can see how the final will look but when a version is approved I have to rotate it horizontally to play in a TV that's been rotated vertically. I have been bringing the approved vertical export back into After Effects, making a new comp, rotating it horizontally and exporting it but I'd prefer to do all of this in Media Encoder because it would save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to second this request.

We have to edit and deliver via broadcast standards, but need to send web previews that are easier on client's necks.  Currently we nest the sequences in Premiere before exporting but it would be nice if Media Encoder had the option to rotate the input video.

It could save minutes a year in lost time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dustin,

That's a feature request: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way I have found was to open the video file in Photoshop. The go to image>rotate image. Then go to file>export and the Photoshop will use the Media Encoder to encode the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 6 years. How long does a feature request take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as far as I know, we can use VLC to rotate videos now. 

1. Right click the video file on your PC and select "Open with VLC" option.

2. Click Tools - Effects and Filter - Adjustments and effects.

3. Go to Video Effects - Geometry - Transform - Select rotate by 90 degrees.

vlc-rotate (1).jpg

Other ways are also available to turn videos to 90 degrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your entire timeline into a subsequence. Create a new sequence. Place the subsequence you just created into sequence2. Rotate 90 degrees.  Done.  I make entire videos for ad kiosks in 1080x1920 - but this causes export problems - 1920 is too wide wort many of them, but I need to edit them that way.  Making the entire sequence into a subsequence and rotating that solves all my problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop 2021 is still the easiest way I found to accomplish this. Just the steps have changed a bit. 

1. Open your video in Photoshop
  2. Select Image > Image Rotation and select the way you wanted to rotate your video.
  3. Then select File > Export > Render Video
  4. This will open the Render Video window where you can set the parameters of your video. I would keep the Adobe Media Encoder selected. Otherwise, your only other option is exporting as a Jpeg Sequence.ken_sim_0-1608870380461.png

The only bug I found with this is even though I had the performance in Photoshop to use my Graphics Processor and my Media Encoder to use my graphics card CUDA cores for rendering, the render still used my CPU to render the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but I don't pay $60 a month to have to use 3rd party freeware. There are plenty of ways to do this (even a Reddit bot ðŸ¤“), but the OP has a great point that really simple intrinsic operations like this should be possible from within ME. Opening PPro/Photoshop (let alone AE) is entirely too much work for something that should be easy-peasy click-click done. I'd go a step further and say that it isn't remotely unreasonable to expect ME to perfome basic remuxing tasks (add/remove audio streams, etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only rotates the video during playback. This will not correct the source file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm, filming in smartphone format with a camera requires a 90 degree rotation to be viewed on a computer, it's amazing that Media Encoder does not offer this simple feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, is this still a valid way to communicate this, or should we go to UserVoice?

Guessing UV... (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update this thread, to carry out rotation in Media Encoder - click on the preset link, select "rotate right (90) on the source rotation, then amend the final output video size to 1920x1080 and you're good to go.

I discovered you can't use Apply OSX to rotate, as it only applies when viewed through apply devices and it doesn't actually rotate the source file.

Click on the preset link, select "Rotate Right (90)"

thepackagingclub_0-1677578710999.png

Edit output file dimensions by changing "Basic Video Settings" (same window)

thepackagingclub_1-1677578867945.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY!!! It only took 8 years to implement this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible now in Adobe Media Encoder version 23.1 Build 81 and later. In the export settings, you can rotate left, right, or 180. And then also change the crop to match the new orientation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answer should be at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines