• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Severe memory leaks preventing projects from completing

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Im fairly at my wits end with this issue. Im uncertain as to whether it's a media encoder, after effects, or computer-related issue. I've been trying to render a green screen removal from a roughly 8 minute video in 1080p at 60fps. Over my last few tries, it's ended in my computer seemingly "leaking" memory and locking up the rendering process. In the image below you can see that the activity monitor is reporting the core rendering to be using more memory than what's even available on my computer. This rises to about 120gb-ish until the core resets and starts climbing from 0 again. Hence the pressure trend. Closing all adobe applications does not end this constant up and down leaking from stopping. 

uno.jpgdos.jpg

I have the RAM usage for adobe applications capped out at 50gb just to leave room for various other computer functions. The cap seems to be ignored anyway by these applications. Below are my computer specs in case anyone might be suspect it's not on par with this particular render request. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 2.58.31 PM.png

I understand the simple answer is to shorten the length of my videos, which can be done, but it seems application breaking to me that it will get as far as this point. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export or render , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! the activity monitor image did not make it to the forums...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, theyre showing up for me. Guess thats a different issue haha.

Anyway, heres a link to a google drive folder with all the images, in case none have shown up. 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EDdnYMP5ek2x4GqOXJZq1OVga436BelK?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it now. Wil defer to more experienced posters on this very matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any third party plugins/extensions installed and/or being used in this project? The RAM usage limiter applies ONLY to Adobe effects. Third party plugins completely ignore that parameter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe so. If Im not mistaken theyre all default effects within after effects. 

keylight (1.2)
Key cleaner
Advanced spill suppressor
Lumetri Color
Gaussian Blur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get the same experience if you export directly from AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not attempted this. I'll give it a try and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the AE direct export was successful without a hitch. Granted, I need to be able to work simultaneously with AE while rendering, so this doesnt entirely fix my issue with media encoder, unfortunately.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this could have any affect in your situation but I see Chrome in your Activity Monitor. Chrome on Mac has been known to have memory leak issues since about 2018. Not sure if the latest versions have addressed this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Background info.

There are two types of "memory" which are reported, and tools aren't very good at saying which type.

1. Real memory. This is RAM in your computer. You have 64GB of that and cannot use more. This is what is reported in the box at the bottom.

2. Virtual memory. An app can keep asking for memory and the system can keep giving it. The least-recently-used RAM is written out to disk, so the actual RAM is used for the recently-used stuff. This works very well for apps that aren't doing anything, but when an app tries to make use of all its memory performance drops like a stone. There may be a limit on virtual memory, and apps will be killed if they go over it. To find out the limit, if any, type  ulimit -v  in a terminal window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines