Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video File Will Not Import

Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I know what the problem is, but want to know if there are solutions for it.

I have a Canon T3 and shoot footage at 1280x720 29.97 and it encodes as MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video with mono linear PCM audio in a MOV container. This was importing fine until the latest Media Encoder Update to 12.1.1.(build 12) on macOS 10.11.6 El Capitan.

I believe I read something about discontinuing support for either the codec as it might be considered legacy now, or that it is not supported on the OS, as that might be considered legacy now. Either way, it does not import and errors with "source has no importable streams".

It looks like they still support mov, but no longer with a H.264 encoding, only H.265, unless on a newer OS, 11.13. Which sounds slightly odd. Is this just to save install space by not having older codecs?

File formats supported for import for Media Encoder

Could someone tell me if this might be a bug, or rather a discontinued codec and/or wrapper combination?

Either way, is there a way to install the codec or point to a codec that will solve this issue?

I have a workaround by extracting 24bit png frames from the video using a mac program called adpater, but I am unsure if shooting at a 29.97fps and then extracting at a flat 30 fps as stills will cause artifact issues in motion over time or visibly within frame. I don't see any artifacts, but would rather have a 1:1 pipeline as provided by media encoder. I then take the stills, lightroom them, export, and re-encode to video with media encoder to an apple prores wrapper. It works, but I don't like the extra step and not being able to use encoder as my primary tool for the job.

Thanks Everyone!

Jeremy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Hi Jeremy,

Here is your issue: Dropped support for QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs

Sorry about that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeremy,

Here is your issue: Dropped support for QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs

Sorry about that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines