Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe XD 2020 Book by Brian Wood -> General Questions

Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone read this book and completed the examples?

I like that this book is offline but there isn't a more modern version (coming fall 2021).

XD has changed alot since this publication. I need some answers about the changes.

*Any comments get liked and the answer added.

My question(s) on this post:

1. Is there a way import Colors, Characters Styles, and Components in advance for client purposes?

Building/configuring those things take hours. I would prefer to push that to the customer before I start work so I can just work to deliverables.

TOPICS
Design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Hey there. Haven't read / heard of that book, but I'll try answering your questions.

1. Import from where? You can import styles from CC Libraries, so if you created a styleguide or something else in illustrator, you can easily import them into Xd.

2. Pasting between artboards - it should be working fine, but there are some problems which may appear, depending on what you're copying from and how it's been set up. It would be nice to see both the source and the destination, so we can pinpoint

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

I can't reproduce a coping bug. It pasts on all selected artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Pasting across artboards? Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't

Is this a bug? I selected 4 boards and it missed 1 completely, hit 2, and 2 were pasted off the artboard. See screenshot (XD_PastingAcrossarBoards)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. Haven't read / heard of that book, but I'll try answering your questions.

1. Import from where? You can import styles from CC Libraries, so if you created a styleguide or something else in illustrator, you can easily import them into Xd.

2. Pasting between artboards - it should be working fine, but there are some problems which may appear, depending on what you're copying from and how it's been set up. It would be nice to see both the source and the destination, so we can pinpoint where the issue is coming from.

If you can give us a close-up screenshot for one artboard that didn't copy properly, with the layers panels open, that would be nice. Even better - upload the file somewhere and share it here or via PM, so we can take a look at it and see why it isn't copying/pasting properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce a coping bug. It pasts on all selected artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. I passed the XD exam. I'll try to post the artboards with the screenshots. Sorry. It took me 6 months to get over the bugs with XD exam. Dealing with Adobe and their partners can be painful at times. I had to have a live proctor to pass it. I'm glad this is behind me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply to your comment 1, from Where? This is a design tool. It would be great if ALL customers had style guides and the like but your average customer is hiring you to build that but some items are so monotous I would hope they would have what you say but what if they don't have use Adobe tools like Illustrator or Photoshop. I've seen some customers stilling corel draw...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, when you use the word "import", that implies you already have some styles somewhere and want to import them into Xd - that is how I (mis)understood your question. Xd can't be compatible with any possible file or software people can potentially use.

In many cases clients already have some branding - like a logo with certain colors / fonts, and whoever did it will probably have .eps or .pdf files with the styles (or at least they should). If not, it's up to you to set everything up manually, using the good ol' color picker 🙂  Building the library is part of the job. Sometimes it can be automated, sometimes not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines