• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe XD Cache - How to clear

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I've been investigating the responsible of slowly and sneakly filling up my storage. My primary drive is a 120GB SSD with the sole purpose of holding Windows and the Adobe Apps to work. All other stuff is installed in another bigger HDD.

I've noticed that every time I start any Adobe Programs, they add some GBs to my storage, which will eventually disappear after I close the application. I have configured Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and InDesign to use another drive for the Cache and Temp files. However, there is no such option for Adobe XD.

I found a temp folder in my appdata/local/packages folder literally named Adobe.CC.XD and it's almosts 17GBs!

Is there a safe way to remove the cache or setting the cache for Adobe XD to be stored in another HDD? It is literally eating up my space!

TOPICS
Missing feature , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled XD from the Storage option, in Windows Settings, and won almost 20GBs back, confirming that XD is just storing junk and cache in the drive without removing it after use.

Reinstalling XD should NOT be the option to clear XD's cache. Please Adobe, address this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. The above-mentioned location is a temp location for Auto-Save. As of now, I am afraid, we don't have an option to turn off the auto-save(https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38097238-allow-use...) to avoid a local copy of the file. I'd not recommend deleting these files until it's necessary. If you do see multiple copies of the same file, you can keep the latest one and delete others.

Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this answer is good enough. I understand that autosave requires local saving of some versions, but XD files are not large and there's no reason why I should have 4.6 GB consumed by local save backups.

Turning off autosave isn't the solution to this problem - why does XD not just remove the local save of the file version after it's been uploaded to the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to:
1. Choose the temp/cache folder should be there.
2. Removed the temp files/cache should exist.
These are options that basically all other Adobe CC programs already have.

Moreover, XD should automatically remove any temporary files after their use. Storing all that junk indefinitely on your local drive doesn't have any major impact on the performance of the program itself. I find myself uninstalling and reinstalling XD every other week anyway (for updates or just to remove all the junk files), and since the files are cloud based, they end up being downloaded anyway.

I think the most annoying part is that it is literally hidden in some obscure folder, where you need to dig a lot to even find it and there's no clear definition of what's there. In the meantime, the average user will basically keep losing storage capacity without realizing what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with above and this had been happening to me for 2 weeks before I dug into it and realised what was going on. 

Basically trying to operate XD in the last 2 weeks had been an absolute joke, the kind of sluggish that makes you want to hurl your PC out of the window. It had literally gobbled all of my memory and stopped everything else from working (about 30gb cache), to the point where I had to click out and back in the program to edit every piece of text (to see the cursor appear) and it would disconnect from the cloud every -literally- 5 seconds, making it impossible to work. And paying for the privilege! 

The above solution seems logical and straightforward - seems like a huge one and should be next on the list, no, Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone wondering if they are facing the same, download TreeSize free version and you'll see exactly where your memory is going 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried to delete the folder that occupied most of the space  in AppData\Local\Packages\Adobe.XD_pc75e8sa7ep4e\LocalState (1.2GB in my case), and could reopen XD without any apparent problem.

Usually, when you see that a folder contains only subfolder with randomly generated folder name (egg ke2jkdj767k3216435), it's a sign that you can delete it safely, the system can't rely on the existence of it.

They should really do something about that, 
It's annoying that every applications always behave like they're the only one on the user's system,

i have to hunt for space waste every 2 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines