• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe XD export PNG without Alpha Channel (Bug)

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think something changed in the latest version of Adobe XD. Before, when you exported an artboard with a background before, there was no Alpha Channel. This is because it wasn't needed. Now, however, the PNG export always puts in an Alpha channel, even if the background is present. Seams like this is a bug. An alpha channel should only be included if the background is less than 100% opacity.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Thanks for the reply! @AkinGn is correct, Photoshop is definitely a workaround. For exporting large amounts of artboards and assets, I've been using Bridge to bulk remove the alpha channels. However, there are still a couple problems with this method…

(1) The first problem is when a person/company has large amounts of assets that are being converted with automatic scripts. As a programer, the only way the scripts can tell whether or not a file contains transparency, is to rely on the alpha chann

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I'm not familiar with the issue but I think opening the exported png in PS and deleting alpha channel there could be a workaround for now? If it doesn't help, let's see maybe some other team member might have a suggestion. Happy creating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @OnMission,

Thank you for reaching out. In addition to what our expert has suggested, is it possible for you to share a video showing the issue for better understanding?  Please also share the version of XD and the operating system you're working on.

We will try our best to investigate the issue.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! @AkinGn is correct, Photoshop is definitely a workaround. For exporting large amounts of artboards and assets, I've been using Bridge to bulk remove the alpha channels. However, there are still a couple problems with this method…

(1) The first problem is when a person/company has large amounts of assets that are being converted with automatic scripts. As a programer, the only way the scripts can tell whether or not a file contains transparency, is to rely on the alpha channel being applied correctly. All assets/artboards are exported from Adobe XD at 4x as PNG for quality and archive. We choose PNG over JPG for non-transparent images, since JPG will always have some artifacts. These assets/artboards are then compressed from their original files using scripts to be used in various situations over time.

(2) It's not a huge deal to remove the alpha channel one one or two files, but it gets harder as the amount of files goes up. It gets even harder when the artboards/assets exists in separate subfolders, as Bridge can only bulk process images in a single folder. I can rely on other programs/scripts to bulk remove alpha channels even in many nested subfolders, but a computer isn't smart enough to determine the original intention of the artist and whether or not they wanted a transparent background or not. Since there is no "transparency" option when exporting from XD as PNG, it makes for a difficult an manual process when dealing with large amounts of files. 

Version and System:

• Adobe XD version 51.0.12.6 on macOS 12.4.
  • Steps to Reproduce:
    • Choose an artboard with a background color of 100% opacity (i.e. fully opaque).
    • Export it using 4x, PNG setting.
    • View details/information for the newly saved .png file, and one should see that an alpha channel has been applied regardless of background opacity.
  • Solutions:
    • Allow the user to choose "transparency" when exporting to PNG. However, this doesn't solve for the situations when some assets/artboards need "transparency" and some don't when exporting a large number of assets/artboards.
    • A better option would be to rely on the "background opacity" of the artboard to determine whether or not the final PNG gets an alpha channel. Either that, or give the user a "transparency" toggle on individual artboards/assets. The easiest solution, in my view, would be to check the "background opacity" of the artboard upon export. If it's 100%, no alpha. If it's < 100%, apply alpha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, I apologize for serveral grammar mistakes above. I missed several before hitting "post." Oops. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines