• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe XD : Upcoming change that breaks linked assets in local files(September 2021)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upcoming change that breaks linked assets in local files is unacceptable. The company I'm working for does not allow, and will not allow, uploading confidential company data (mocks, layouts, upcoming products, etc.) to Adobe cloud. It's not my decision, it's the company's; I have no influence over it whatsoever.

We've been using Adobe XD for designing and relying on local files to emulate a library of components, all synced via means trusted by the company. If a change to a global component is needed, a quick update to the root file will propagate to all child files and it saves us days of work.

Now you're removing this functionality. My company prohibits the use of your cloud, so you're effectively telling us to look for competitors.

Please re-think this change, which you've announced with irresponsibly short notice. This is not how such breaking changes should look.

{Title Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Announcement , Missing feature , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

The constant self-appointed "correct answer" tagging and the marketing speak announcements about features we don't want are par for the course with Adobe. Abandon ship -- then you won't have to come here for emotional support every time XD lets you down. 

The idea that forcing usage of Adobe's clouds gives "more control to the users" is laughable. And a little insulting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, 

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your sentiments around this change. We understand your concern here.
We are migrating to this workflow to give more control to the users over the Design System.

When the design system grows, and the complexity of the projects increases as well. This change is going to provide robust support and centralization to enhance the experience. Other than the components, a Design System is consists of colors, character styles, and other assets that you may use in apps like Photoshop and Illustrator. 

You are going to unlock tons of capabilities after this migration. Here's a list of features that Libraries will support, and for more info, see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/migrate-design-systems-to-creative-cloud-libraries.html 

Features

Linked Assets

Creative Cloud Libraries

Linked components across documents.

Supported

Supported

Linked colors and character styles are supported for linked assets.

Supported

Supported

Linked audio files and other asset types.

Not Supported

Supported

Invite users with view and edit permissions to a design system.

Not Supported

Supported

Publish a design system publicly for anyone to make a copy or use.

Not Supported

Supported

Gating updates when publishing changes to a library.

Not Supported

Supported

Organize your design system with groups and tokens.

Not Supported

Supported

Bridge design to development with design token and code hinting.

Not Supported

Supported

Create a library that can be shared with a team.

Not Supported

Supported

Reuse assets from other Creative Cloud apps like Photoshop and Illustrator.

Not Supported

Supported

This road seems challenging for you. However, I'd recommend proposing these changes to your organization. If you'd like, I can set up a call for you to understand how this would work in an enterprise setup. I am sure you would have questions about security and NDA issues, and you may build a strong case after speaking with our experts. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not mark this as a "correct answer". This reply does not address the irresponsibility of making breaking changes in a short notice (I received the notice email about September's changes on August 11th), leaving me and my coworkers with very little time to react.

I understand the need for progress, but I find Adobe's approach to enterprise customers puzzling. This forced cloud push is going to significantly impact our workflow that's already been rather restricted due to Adobe's history of data leaks (2013, 2019), and such a short notice, coupled with XD's lack of features/stability/customization compared to competition, gives us little choice but to abandon ship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The constant self-appointed "correct answer" tagging and the marketing speak announcements about features we don't want are par for the course with Adobe. Abandon ship -- then you won't have to come here for emotional support every time XD lets you down. 

The idea that forcing usage of Adobe's clouds gives "more control to the users" is laughable. And a little insulting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear future visitor,

If you see no "correct answer" in this thread, believe me that I've personally un-marked the official reply as correct and marked plainclothes' one as correct instead. While I appreciate Adobe representative's quick reply and understand Adobe's need to secure the business, at least plainclothes' post doesn't try to hide behind marketing-speak and actually speaks the truth, so that's my pick as an actual answer. I would appreciate not overruling the decision of the person who asked the question.

Someone is silently overriding my choices, which is not how I want to be treated as a customer. Not only Adobe is forcibly taking away the only remaining way my team can work with their product, they're not answering the crucial topic of pushing breaking changes in critically short notice, and now treating my choices as void.

Take whatever you want from this short conversation; I know what I'm going to do with my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines