Any way to fully justify text in XD?

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any way to fully justify text in XD?

Thanks!

JIM.

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can connect with your peers for conversations that don't directly relate to product help and support) to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

It's not supported at the moment! You can upvote this in UserVoice, though: Full justification for area text – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not supported at the moment! You can upvote this in UserVoice, though: Full justification for area text – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As as little UX note.. perhaps use another word other than 'solved' considering the disappointment factor of Google results for "adobe xd justify text" shows me that the problem of my project manager impatiently waiting for a simple function she can do in Powerpoint has been solved. It definitely gives me, the user, that negative surprise as I find something other than what was indicated after clicking on the text link, and those are to be avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... I was hopeful damn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years after, always no this  simple feature.
It's a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would have been helpful a while back... why the delay? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, the feature request has been posted on September 20, 2016 and 1769 votes later there's no feedback yet. @elainecc do you have news ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've shared publicly that we're on a multi-year journey to integrate the Adobe standard text engine into XD, which should unlock the opportunity for us to do this. I can't share a timeline, but it is something that we're making progress toward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really can not take this many years to implement something that is basic on every single program out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's crazy !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Job had already proposed this feature in 1984.  You are really late. 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-XwPjn9YY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Product Team,

Please add Justify option text field. its necessarily important for are arabic language. i facing lots of problem clients need this format but no plung also available anywhere. please help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is embarassing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have not done that already, I suggest providing your reasons to justify the inclusion of this feature in XD if you have not done it already. In English at least, the justify feature is rarely used in web and mobile apps. Its best use case is in the print media. 

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering Sketch has a justify option, I don't really think that any further explanination is needed as to why XD should have it. They're your strongest competitor and I might as well switch to Sketch if the Adobe dev team doesn't care enough about it to add it in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a silly consideration. So Adobe has a Windows version of XD – why doesn't Sketch have one ?

Let's look at this from a more sensible viewpoint: too many things can go wrong with justification and especially hypehenation. Maybe that's a lesser problem in English (because of the larger amount of shorter words), but in other languages justified text really gets ugly when not hyphenated correctly. But hey, Sketch can't know that, because it's only in English... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clients demand it. How's that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some clients like to have animated intros on their website, before the viewer can proceed. Some demand email newsletters with embedded video's, "because nobody else has them, so I'll be the first and draw more attention". Some ideas are esthetically not desirable, some are technically not viable, some ideas are even both – like properly working full justification...

"Clients may be King, but they're not the Art Director..." (Von Glitschka)

As a designer, it's your job to decide and create designs with features that work, both estheticlly and technically. If you're not in a position to independently perform your job, then try to convince your client of your advice. Show what happens when e.g. a justified text needs to flow in a narrow column (without hyphenation and with wrong hyphenation) by mimicking it in a tool like InDesign. Such a routine is called uglifying text, just like with testing longer words in headings, or extended replies in small form fields.

Prevent your client from making wrong assumptions and design mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lemme forward that all to Alibaba and see if they'll go back change their Olympic pavilion. Probably not.

I know all that stuff that I didn't read because I know it. But some of us don't have the privilege of mind-controlling arrogant clients. What would be nice though is not being forced to stay in the office till 10pm because the PM keeps sending the client's text edits that I have to keep making justified text PNGs from in another program instead of just updating the text in the csv and sending it to the devleopers.

This is like a political debate about how what you 'should' do if the world were perfect, but it's not and it never will be. So just make the function that 1,200 of us have asked for. And someone else in this thread had a good point about other languages (cuz not everyone uses the Latin alphabet). I think someone here mentioned Arabic. Also Chinese is made for justification, but not all fonts track well with it when there's a lot of punctuation.

The argument is bigger than what you're idealizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Design is about making visual hierarchies accessible. Since it comes across as if you feel as if my argument is invalid, I'll say that yours is as well. While others may feel that a justify option is irrelevant, its a very common tool in most design programs which include type tools. It has always fit in with the rest of the type options, it belongs to the family. Why shouldn't Adobe include it in XD? Its incredibly unintrusive, they already have advanced coding around the tool, and although uncommon in web design, will have a use eventually. There are specific styles of design that commonly use the justify option, and the use of justify is much larger than you probably understand. I know you're thinking, "Well, Adobe can't just add in every single tool requested, right?", but considering Adobe is a business and businesses want to make money, it makes even more sense for them to include it. The Adobe "economy" is as difficult as Apple's to leave, but if someone realizes that they can have almost all if not more of the tools they need in another program for less money, what will stop them from leaving. I'm saying, its in Adobe's best interests to include this tool, especially considering it has been requested multiple times. And that's all I've got to say on the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a strong opinion about this, but had a couple of thoughts...

Opening of Sketch files is an existing feature of XD. You could argue for support for justified text not as only being a new feature, but a failure of an existing feature. XD fails to import justified text from Sketch.

Sketch can export the text as an image (as can many other programs that do justified text). There are a lot of visual things that XD cannot do, and so you use Illustrator or Photoshop to make an image that you then use in your mockup in XD. Justified text may be an obvious small addition to other text attributes, but while it's not there you can still create an image in another program. The lack of justified text does not stop you from showing justified text solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Let's look at this from a more sensible viewpoint: too many things can go wrong with justification and especially hypehenation.'

How about Adobe leaves design decissions and judgement to designers and just provide a much requested tool?

Driving 120 miles per hour around a crowded city is a terrible idea and too many things can go wrong. Nevertheless, most cars provide this function, as it just CAN be useful at times and JUSTIFIED (pun not intended) in certain circumstances.

'The lack of justified text does not stop you from showing justified text solutions.'

Sure it doesn't stop us, but it makes our life unnecessarily more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't have anything against it, when Adobe would offer this feature in XD.

Personally I wouldn't use it. But if it would make others a happy camper – fine with me ! 

However, the amount of work to implement hyphenation and justification properly in an application like this is much more than most of you assume. As soon as it would be available in a simple way (just whole words), users will start complaining about getting hyphenation in their preferred languages. (In 20 years of its existence, InDesign installed about 60 languages for hyphenation dictionaries and algorithms.) And immediately after that users will start asking why their text in XD hyphenates and justifies differently, compared to the live text in the browser or app framework. Text will render exactly the same in an end-user's PDF or pixel image, but Adobe doesn't control the hyphenation and justification in browser engines or app frameworks. So any designed text will always remain an approximation. Can you live with that ?

Have a good look here: https://designforhackers.com/blog/justify-text-html-css/

And for a shocking reality check here: https://caniuse.com/#feat=css-text-justify

And if you Google "justify text on web" all results will advice against it. 

It's not a simple feature – it's Pandora's Box !

I don't mind Adobe developers chosing to give other (more viable) features their priority...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines