• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building a graphics library for my company but doing it in xd so it can be shared with everyone as x

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is this my boss wants eps's and I figured I would output an avg and then just re-save as eps. All the graphics are vectors based or line drawings. She said she prefer me to build it in illustrator as the quality is better. Considering the are line drawing shouldn't they just stay the same quality wise? I do notice that the gradients when copying and pasting get lost though. Before I have to rebuild everything, I just want to make sure I am right and no quality will be lost? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While both SVGs and EPSs are vectors, SVGs are limited at times around issues of gradients and other effects.  Also, the drawing tools and such are better in Illustrator. The secret sauce is really just publishing as a CC library so the entire team and use it. And don't forget to document the icons and keep a revision log.

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.eps is an old format that's dying. For print work I suggest .ai because it supports partial transparency (which eps does not). The big question I have is why eps? If this is for print work, colors should be CMYK which XD cannot do (it's RGB because screens are). If it's for print, Illustrator is a better choice.

If these are for digital, .svg is a better choice as it's become the standard for digital vectors.

Can you shed any more light on how these will be used? Choosing a file format is all about how the file will be used, so without more info it's hard to make accurate recommendations.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can open the .svg files exported from XD in Illustrator and resave the files with no loss of quality (both are vector formats).

You should however verify that the conversion worked well. SVG is a coded format and different apps can render them differently.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines