• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't connect to Document - Someone is editing this document in an older version of XD

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having an issue that I am hoping for some support with. The following error message is displayed to me when I am trying to open an XD file. Normally this is not a big issue, though it is very annoying, as I just reach out to the person mentioned and politely ask them to update their XD version or close the file. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 12.19.50 PM.png

In the image above the names are removed, but you get the idea.

How should I handle a situation where a designer has gone on a two week vacation and left a version of this XD document open? Surely I don't have to wait two weeks for their return before regaining the ability to edit this file?

Similarly, on larger projects where there could be 10+ people editing the same document, how can I avoid having to repeatedly reach out to members of the team asking them to update? With a collaborative file this large there is always someone who has the file open who is out of date. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Dave

TOPICS
How to , Open and save docs , Product performance , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing the feedback. It's recommended that you all should be on the latest version of XD while collaborating to avoid such conflicts. If the problem persists after updating to the latest version, please try the following steps-

• Close XD and Creative Cloud desktop app.
  • End all XD and Creative Cloud processes from the task manager.
  • Restart the machine.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

A workaround just to open the document locally for reading:
1. Click on the cloud document on the list
2. Disconnect from the internet (turn off wifi) while the loading bar is progressing

3. When the document loads, use File -> Save As Local Document...

4. Reconnect to the internet and use the local copy (changes won't be synced back but at least you can preview it)

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with our project files! ADOBE please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, when trying to work collaboratively the current situation makes this very difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry for the delay in response. Are you still experiencing the issue?  For immediate assistance, please connect with us directly using this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html so that we can help you directly.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the major reasons why our company is moving to Figma. Collaboration and teamwide asset management and sharing on Adobe XD is simply not there yet, and we can't wait any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

We're so sorry to hear about that. I understand there is always a scope for improvement in such workflows. While co-editing, it is necessary for all the collaborators to have the latest version of XD as we revise our document format with the new release to support the latest features. So if the document has been saved with a newer version, it can't be opened in an older version. Having said that, I understand your concern, so I will share your feedback with the Engineering team.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't actually understand why the correct answer is marked as "contact with us directly" - it's purely a waste of time of the helpdesk and of mine. You will only get advised, "Ask those people to update their version of XD" anyways. There's no way around it. Even if I desperately want to work on the file, it's not possible because it will corrupt the file. 

Until XD updates the program to avoid the above, other tools mentioned by jasonc46262061 are the only way

TL;DR - Yes, every collaborator's XD needs to be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing the feedback. It's recommended that you all should be on the latest version of XD while collaborating to avoid such conflicts. If the problem persists after updating to the latest version, please try the following steps-

• Close XD and Creative Cloud desktop app.
  • End all XD and Creative Cloud processes from the task manager.
  • Restart the machine.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround just to open the document locally for reading:
1. Click on the cloud document on the list
2. Disconnect from the internet (turn off wifi) while the loading bar is progressing

3. When the document loads, use File -> Save As Local Document...

4. Reconnect to the internet and use the local copy (changes won't be synced back but at least you can preview it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for confirming and sharing the solution, it will surely help other community members. Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

but that's not collaboration. Figma will still win.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines