• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot removed linked XD document

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an XD document that links to another XD document (a style assets document). This was set up the old way before CC libraries were added to XD — as explained on this website: https://letsxd.com/videos/linked-assets. Basically the style library document is saved to the cloud, and then it can be set up as a linked document in another XD document, and all of its components and styles become available in the new document assets.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to un-link that document. I want to swap out the old style library for a new one. But I cannot delete any of the individual assets that are linked (including ones that were not used), nor can I find any way to unlink the whole linked document. It seems like there should be a "Remove linked asset library" control somewhere, but I cannot find it!

I don't want to delete the source file, but rather remove the connection.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Hello. You can unlink the source document the following way: 1. click on the filter icon on the Document Assets panel and then 2. click on the x button next to the Source document name. This sequence will unlink the source document and remove all the assets that belong to the source doc.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 12.17.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. You can unlink the source document the following way: 1. click on the filter icon on the Document Assets panel and then 2. click on the x button next to the Source document name. This sequence will unlink the source document and remove all the assets that belong to the source doc.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 12.17.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip (I would never have expected to need to click the filter icon—so unintuitive!), but it doesn't seem to work. See my screenshot below. The linked document appears in the popup, but there is no "X" button when I mouse over it.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.14.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, please excuse my previous post. It looks like I had already migrated that one to CC libraries, after my initial problem and not finding any solutions. If I go to an even older document that has the old style library links, your solution works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This would  be an excellent feature (no matter how unintuitive) if it actually worked. 

If I click on that "X" the only thing that happens is that I hear a faint clicking sound from my mouse. 

Are there any other ways to unlink a document?

I have little doubt that the reason this feature doesn't work is that all my cloud documents are hopelessly broken. 

They are full of components that aren't linked, have broken links, or just simply don't exist in the document any more.

Almost none of these components can be removed, deleted, made local, or even found on the canvas. They are just remnants of older work that XD can't purge in any way. It's hardly surprising that the "unlink document" option fails along with everything else related to broken link components. 

btw, the "Relink" feature has never worked, even once, in the 3.5 years I've been using XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines