Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character Styles in Adobe Xd are not working properly

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when will the Character Styles bug be fixed?
This worked fine in the old version of Adobe Xd. Now it works randomly. Sometimes you can change selected text by clicking a defined Character Styles and sometimes nothing happens. ?!?!
It is very frustrating. One of the basic options is not working properly.

I attached movie.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

This is definetly strange and thanks for sharing the video. Would you mind sharing the OS and XD version of your machine? Please upload this XD file to a shared location such as Creative Cloud app or Dropbox and share the url with us or over a private message so that I can escalate the issue to the team for investigation.

Note: Please share the url of this post over a PM for reference.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I wanted to try a workaround for this problem https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/roboto-font-from-google-has-different-heights-on-mac-vs-pc/t... but found out that now I can't change all my text objects at once by modify a character style. The only way is to do it one by one for every text object - it's not what I expected, so my workaround will not work. It's very frustrating to work with Adobe XD when it behaves this way - sometimes features work, sometimes they don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I'm sorry, my issue is a bit different - it won't update text objects after I make changes to a character style, not that it won't apply to a new text object.

p.s. For some reason I don't have an ability to edit or delete my posts and comments, so I'm sorry for some frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue with Character Styles. Is this a new bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Just switched from Sketch to XD and setting up my Design System and no matter what I do, Character styles in my current file (which was imported from Sketch) will not apply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I think the problem is when you are using styles with a decimal point like 48.5pt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of my styles are using decimals in the size, line-height or character spacing...  I did see some people fix their issues when having decimals and then removing them though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, So when I edit the font in the character style to use a different typeface it works. I was/am using an .otf font but when I change it to Raleway or Roboto for ex. things work and update as expected. 

Going to see if I can get a ttf version of the font I'm using and see if that resolves. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to have helped with net new files. On my existing files if I edit the charater style to a font that works, apply, re-edit the style back to my preferred font it now works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey team I think I may have a workaround solution for this. 

If you double-click enough times till you highlight the whole paragraph, then you can apply the 'Character Style' and edit/rename the style however you wish. So if you just select the text using Select (V), withouth double-clicking in to it, it doesn't work. You need to double click so the text/word/paragraph is completely highlighted, then go in to your 'Libraries Panel' and apply the 'Character Style.' That seems to have worked. It's not ideal, but it may help until they fix this properly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I am experiencing the same issue since the latest update of XD. And I have tried all the tricks that people recommended in the previous discussion, and none of them worked for me. It's 2021 now, has the XD-team finds the solution to this problem yet? THX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this same problem! Very fraustrating... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, I found that this problem seemed to occur most when I had based character styles on text I had copied and pasted into XD from another application, such as Illustrator. The only fix I could come up with was to create a new instance of the text and style natively within XD, then create my character style from that. That approach seems to work consistently. This may be related to text point sizes that have decimal values versus whole values, which I noticed on some of the imported/pasted text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @fritzg007 
Thanks for sharing your experience and solution to the issue. I tried the function as you did, and that solved the problem. I believe Adobe probably had a look at this and released the amended version with the latest updated XD(v36.0.32). Happy to see that it's finally solved! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similiar experience importing from Sketch. All I did to fix it was to right click on the Character Style, select Edit, changed the font to any other font like Arial, and then change it back to the font I wanted. It worked after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think I just discovered another bug for the Character Styles. I have a bunch of them in my design system together with various colours. When I edited the colours to different hex values, the character styles using the previous colours didn't get updated. The layers in the designs had their colours changed, but not the character styles, so now I need to re-connect all the text with character styles again. 

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Cristiane5C4A,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry for the trouble. I am unable to reproduce the issue at my end on the windows machine. Please share the below details with us for better investigation.

• Would you mind telling us the version of XD installed on your machine and the details of your operating system?
  • Please share a short video of the workflow showing the issue. 
  • Does that happen with all files or with a specific file?

Please try adding a new character style in a new file and then try editing the color. Let us know if that helps.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. I have created a video to show the issue. You can see a simple piece of text added as a character style and the colour was also saved in the Colors section. After changing the colour to blue, the text layer does change but the character style still remains red. I hope the video is clear enough.

I have also attached the xd file with a screen shot of my PC system details.

Thanks for your help.

Cris

P.S. I tried to upload the xd file but for some reason is not accepting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, latest version of XD and this was a brand new file. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines