• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complex Component With 20,000 Layers

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team and I have been getting a message when we first open our files that we have a component in our shared library with more than 20,000 layers. This component that's called out has nowhere near that amount of layers, however. It has a little over 100 layers including all of the vector icons and masks.

View of each component stateView of each component stateList of all layers pt.2List of all layers pt.2List of all layers pt.1List of all layers pt.1Alert on file loadAlert on file loadThese are the states of the componentThese are the states of the componentThis is the Bottom Nav Tray componentThis is the Bottom Nav Tray componentWhen clicking on View ComponentWhen clicking on View Component

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

No solution beside reducing nesting, limiting your number of states and optimizing your number of groups and layers in each component, as they seem to be duplicated for each state so the growth of nested components is exponential.

Whenever possible, for master components containing many nested components, it's better to duplicate artboards and animate between them than to create a new state (but it needlessly clutters the prototype I know...).

Good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with XD. Would you mind trying to sign out of XD and Creative Cloud, restart the machine and then sign back in? 

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to follow up on the issue. Could you please let us know if you're still experiencing the issue or it has been resolved? Please feel free to update the discussion if you need further assistance from us.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

I've tried the above steps and I am still getting the same error for the same component. I had the owner of the file do the same steps and still, the error persists.

Please advise. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Cory,

Sorry for the delay in response. Would you mind sharing the file with me over a private message so that I can check at my end on my windows machine?

I will try my best to help.

Note: Please add the URL of this post over a PM for reference.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello harshika,

i was wondering if there was a fix for this or a work around that was discovered? i am having the same issue.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I've come to realize is that instead of moving the layers around when you create a new state XD duplicates all the layers for the new state. Hence whey you get 20,000 layers, especially if you have nested components. 

5 States is essentially 5 artboards with the same layers, but represented as one component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is the core of all our current problems. Before the last update (when XD ignored overrides on nested components) I had 200 components of icons each containing 5 states for different colors to use across the project. On top of that I had 200 components of the same icons with the same 5 states for each color, but smaller size. So it's 2000 of icons only. Then I had lots of other components with these icons nested inside. After the latest update Adobe XD just can't convert all those components to a new library and crashes. Now I almost finished recreating our design system in new cloud files without creating all those states and copies only to be able to use slightly different icons nested inside buttons because now I can just make overrides for the same component. I can tell that now Adobe XD works much quicker than before, at least now I don't have time to grind myself some coffee while waiting for files to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it is the reason Default state overrides of component's instance are not propagated to it's other states. For example I have a component of a button with Default State and Hover, containing and icon and text. When I change the icon and text in the Default state of the instance it doesn't change them in Hover state, so I have to do the same changes again - it's ridiculous, because usually you want to have the same text and icon for both states but in different color for Hover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit that dreaded 20k warning myself this week and realized it was all my nesting and took awhile to figure out what was going on.   this message thread was helpful however as i didn't realize the whole overrides in an instance default were, by design, not propogating to the other states of the instance.    I often wondered if i'm trying to do more than other people with nested components. Glad to know i'm not the only one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am getting the same issue too. Did anyone find a suitable solution?

I'm using two shared component libraries (one for icons that are used across multiple products and a second component library specific to the product i'm working on) so nesting components is unavoidable for my workflow, unless anyone has an alternate method? From what I gather from this thread so far that's the reason i'm getting the performance error message. I literally have 10 artboards in my document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be good to get a response to this 20,000 layers problem, as alot of us are having these problems, and its effecting our output capcity.. Lots of waiting around happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update on this? I just STARTED building a design system and I'm already getting this error state? 

The only thing I can find is "Decreased the number of layers", which isn't really going to work. Since I have a form set up with a lot of nested components. To remove them from the COMPONENT, means the overall open / close of this panel won't work.  As well as the individual components like dropdowns, need the nested layers to even be able to function. So I'm kinda at a loss for what to do. Can someone please expand on how they have fixed this issue by resorting layers etc? 

This seems like a HUGE issue, but Adobe does not seem to be addressing it other than "we will fix it in future releases".... Is there a timeline? Since I'm still in the first week of building the Design system, I'm basically forced to scrap using XD entirely because of this issue and move into Figma instead.  Which by the time it gets fixed in XD, we will be too far into building it to ever switch back again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've being forced into making my components in a different way, less states, keeping to the basic default, "hover" and at sometimes a clicked state.. but even this is pushing it... working around issue and creating two components for what you want to achieve, its a pain...  but a way forward.

Obviously would be nice to get fixed... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted on May 16, 2021

I still get this issue by simply trying to open Google provided Material UI Design template's Dark Theme. (Attached Here).

So if Adobe engineers need to reproduce this issue, that's the easiet file to begin diagnosing the issue. I am not sure whole fault this is though. It is also Google's falut? 

Snag_136124ac.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was likely too huge to be attached, I assume, but file is here and it is the same link that XD's "Get UI Kits" takes you to. https://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/xd/ui-kits/xd-material-design-light-and-dark-themes.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same problem from the exact same source. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor me, the same problem happening now with my project and hope to see the new updating from Adobe for it. Master component and overrides that were very helpful for us, i don't think that creating of many copies of default or states will be nice solution in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with the different response under this post. I couldn't figure out what the solution to the problem is.

AS AT THE DATE OF TYPING THIS I am also facing same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is this:

As it stands, using a design system using nested stateful components tends to create a lot of duplicate data, as each state seems to create its own set of duplicate child components. This apparently creates performance problems in the application.

The work-around appears to be using less complex design systems and less states in general. I'm trying to use only a single stateful component within a given component tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to solve this issue is not by us stopping to nest components, but simply for Adobe devs to code better without ugly copy-pasting of everything. Having the same issue as everyone else. Good luck to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've run into this issue, along with some enigmatic nested components failing to update and causing a parent component to be inaccessible in our library. It's ok to have the error, but when the error is "The component '' [empty quotes!?] needs to be updated" it's difficult to know what to do.

The very nature of components and a library is so we can nest and make atomic designs that build off core components. This has prompted us to seriously consider Figma as an alternative, and we've begun the admittedly painful process of remaking the library there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hasn't a solution yet? I'm facing the same issue while starting my design system.. Didn't find nothing helpful unless reducing my components state

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution beside reducing nesting, limiting your number of states and optimizing your number of groups and layers in each component, as they seem to be duplicated for each state so the growth of nested components is exponential.

Whenever possible, for master components containing many nested components, it's better to duplicate artboards and animate between them than to create a new state (but it needlessly clutters the prototype I know...).

Good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly think their 'fix' was to just add that error message and forget that components have problems.

We are still trying to minimize what is in a component, but it's  making into very complicated and confusing files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines