Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying components revert them to master state

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe, 

Attaching the video file for reference will be a lot easier to understand but I'm trying to explain the whole scenario.

While working on a project I usually create a design system and the XD file is used as a library by other members of my team. Since the Co-Editing feature is still in beta and not reliable (might be because of network issues) my team divides parts of a project.

Recently, we've been using components and nested components extensively. When we want to combine the project let's say 5 screens from member A 5 from member B, the copying doesn't work properly.

Any edits made to the components lets say the change in a text is reverted to master state when the file is artboard is pasted in the original file. 

please find the next points to clearly follow my process.

1. Create a New File A
  2. Create a master Component X (rectangle+text+icon) in File A
  3. Create a New File B
  4. Use File A as a library for File B.
  5. Use Component X in the File B and change the text.
  6. Copy the Component X from File B to File A.

You'll notice any changes you've done to the Component X in file B will be lost in File A.

I'm attaching the video, for the sake of forum I've reduced the quality because the video was long so that it just gets understood but if you cannot see because of the quality please reply I'll post the higher quality version.

Adobe XD version -  28.8.12.1
Creative Cloud Sync -

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. We have logged a bug and the Team is working on it. We'll update the discussion as soon as we have an update, meanwhile, we'll really appreciate your patience with us.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

I just tried this in v44.1 and it seems to work as expected. Note that there is a new step in recipe:

2b. Publish Library

With that said, what's the goal of copying a linked component in a consuming document and pasting it back in the source ("master") document: Update original component? Add a new component? Create an overridden instance? Something else?

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in version 38.1.12.2!!! Why hasn't this been priortized? My team is churning hours rebuilding components when they bring their work from separate files into our main file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really a shame. I'm in a position to choose the tool for our product, and I've been a user of the adobe ecosystem for ... lets just say a very long time. I can't in good conscience recommenend we go with Xd over Figma. It's just not an enterprise ready product 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was first reported in May 07, 2020. Adobe took over 2 months to respond (Jul 30, 2020). Now, nearly 1.5 years later and over 10 releases, there is still no fix. What gives?

The last monthly release focused on Adobe Cloud libraries. Depriorized such features until this issue is resolved and closed. Right? Give me a thumbs up/like if you agree. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's mid November 2021, I'm running the newest version of Adobe XD (45.1.62), and the issue still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this in v44.1 and it seems to work as expected. Note that there is a new step in recipe:

2b. Publish Library

With that said, what's the goal of copying a linked component in a consuming document and pasting it back in the source ("master") document: Update original component? Add a new component? Create an overridden instance? Something else?

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I just had the same issue on a local document I was working on (File B): I'd mistakenly updated a component on a copy of my original document (File A) and wanted to put the original component back in to the new file (File B), but when I pasted it in, it became the new component. I'd even tried renaming the 'new' component in the new file (File B) and tried copy and pasting the original component back in. Still didn't work.

However, then I wondered what would happen if I put that original component in to a brand new document (File C) and try pasting it in. So I gave it a try. I copied the artboard the original component I needed was on in to a brand new, named and unsaved document (File C), then copied the component from that document into my new updated version of the original file (File B)...and to my relief it pasted in the original component with all its original states! I also tested just copying the component to a new file too, and that worked as well. I don't know if renaming the new component made any difference, I'd not tested that out, but in terms of good proactise and making sure I know which component was which, it made sense.

So for me, problem solved.

Just for clarity my steps where:

1. Rename your latest version of your component in the file you want to copy to (or the other way round if naming structure makes sense)
  2. Make a copy of the component from the file you need. These components should now be differently named
  3. Copy that component in to a blank artboard on a brand new file (File C)
  4. Then copy that component from File C to the copied file you want it to be in
  5. Fingers crossed, you should be able to now have both components existing on the same document with all their states in tact!

I hope this helps some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this bug popped up recently for me, can't say which version introduced it.

When I copy a modified version of a component from one cloud document to another, it reverts back to the original component. It wasn't like this some weeks ago. If I paste the same asset into a new document, it keeps the modifications made.

Following this thread this issue popped up every now and then over the years.

Could somebody from the Adobe team confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey again, since there hasn't been a response yet and it definitely isn't solved, I wanted to ask if this is even on the radar of the XD Team?

@HARSHIKA_VERMA @Rishabh_Tiwari 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Denis5F95 I just couldn't work with this bug anymore so our team switched to Figma, and it works soooo much better!! if you can I advise you to - none of these problems with reverting to master and changing the text when you switch the instance.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd do the same... as I work on Figma for my sidejobs. Unfortunately for my 9-5 joob I'm unable to switch the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Figma for years now, but unfortunately, it's not possible for my organization to make the switch in the near future. We definitely are looking for ways to make the transition sooner than later, though. Until then, I'd like XD to work the way it should...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try out luncy. Its Free !! You can easily modify and manage components

Its combination of Sketch +Figma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem continues. This is making it impossible to use components in XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 17th, 2023, and still persists. You are killing me. Please fix this. Happy to hear I am not the only one, but also this is ridiculous Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This issue is persistent. I'm killing so much time fighting this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines